Becoming a better vegetarian

As vegetarians go, I am not exactly doing us justice in my representation. By that I mean I eat a reasonably limited amount of vegetables. I might have expanded my tastes somewhat since childhood but I have the terrible tendency to mostly eat the same meals on a loop and if anything I am in danger of dying of boredom from this bland repetition. I have frequently over the last few years said I must change up my diet but whenever I go looking for different things I might eat I struggle to find anything or else I save a recipe into some unknown part of my computer and then never look at it again. My fall back food is always spelt or sourdough bread which is delicious but its also making me sick (because of the gluten) and fat. Back when I worked in the bookshop I would waste a lot of time when I was supposed to be working perusing the healthy section of the cookery books in case I'd find a cookbook full of stuff I could eat. Everything was either full of meat, sugar or gluten and it was too much work to buy one of the books and work out what exactly I could substitute the forbidden food with. So I just kept eating the same old foods maybe changing up the soup or making a slightly different smoothie and that's as far as it went until recently.

A few weeks back my boyfriend tried to have a few days of eating less meat but soon gave up because he didn't have enough ideas for vegetarian dishes because of his terribly unimaginative girlfriend. Most of my dinners still revolve largely around rice and potatoes and I don't really cook any proper dishes at all.
Then I had a day where I was hanging around Clonmel killing time until I went into work and I found my stomach was really sick all morning due to copious bread eating and I resolved to do something about it. That same day I bought two healthy cookbooks the deliciously ella one and a sugar free one called simplicious both mostly plant based and gluten free recipes so I could eat almost everything in there. 

So far I have mostly been cooking from the deliciously ella cookbook. Its fairly straightforward although it has involved me doing a bit of an overhaul on my cupboards given that I wasn't much of one for cooking with spices and everything I have wanted to try so far seems to involve lots of them. Since I got the cookbooks I made a big stew, a creamy soup, bean burgers and spicy sweet potato and squash chunks and weirdly for me I've liked it all. Who knew it could happen, I'm eating foods I didn't even know about years ago, vegetables that I would never have even considered. 

Today I went to Tkmaxx and bought more kitchen implements and then I came home and perused the cookbook, making a list  of what I needed for next weeks cooking and at this rate it looks like I will need to spend all day Sunday in the kitchen if all this stuff is ever going to get made and who knows, maybe soon I'll even be able to wean myself off bread but let's not get too carried away

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..