The fear of change

After pretty much abandoning my blog, I felt the time had come to return. I don't quite feel myself when I am not blurting out my thoughts online and clutching a book I am half way through.

I have been working as a health care assistant for over two years nw. It's tough and tiring work but I love it. You couldn't drag back to any of the jobs I had before pursuing healthcare if you tried. Ultimately though my goal has always been to get myself a job in social care because that's what I went to college for.  When I changed jobs to work in residential facility for adults with disabilities, that was always my end goal. I was only delighted to get a place on the social care panel in March just gone but maybe a little less delighted when four months passed and I was still just a name on the list. I had hoped to  stay in the house I work now. There is comfort in what you know after all. Plus I work with a fantastic team and we support a really lovely group of individuals. Mind you I might be biased because after over a year of caring for people you can't help but feel a little attached. 

However the job I have been offered (and accepted !) is a little bit different than what I had in mind. I was hoping to get my social care position right here in the residential centre. It would have been great as I'd have had slightly more responsibility and a better wage but still have the comfort of knowing I had the support of a great nursing team.Unfortunately that wasn't on offer.

Instead I was offered a position in a community house just outside Kilkenny city. no-one is moving into the house for a few weeks yet so I had a little bit of  time to think about it. I started by asking everyone I know what they had heard about this house and that was all positive. I quizzed my prospective manager on my potential roster and duties and anything else I could think about, I emailed work for more information and then I weighed it all up. I only stopped short of putting together a spreadsheet before making my mind up. With all my information gathered, my gut wasn't telling me no. I still took the night to think it through before giving it a definite yes and so it goes.

To be fair since I said yes I haven't really thought about it. I know it's a good move for me because it's about time I kick started my social care career. I finished college 7 years ago and I have loads of friends from then who are doing great things in that field so there's no reason I shouldn't be too. 
I am a little bit scared about the change and the added responsibility but at the same time I am excited about the challenge. Plus at the earliest I wont be going for a few weeks yet so I don't have to feel sad about saying goodbye just yet. There's always the fear of change but maybe sometimes a little bit of fear is a good thing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..