The rechargeable introvert

It's hard sometimes to be an introvert in this very extroverted world. People expect something more than introversion in social settings and it takes its tole.

When I am getting ready for a night out I need a few hours to build myself up. Some quiet time at home or else the whole idea becomes a bit overwhelming. I am aware I am not the only one who feels this way but sometimes I can't help feeling we introverts are in the minority.

I sometimes find depending on how my few days in work have gone that I might be totally unable to do anything vaguely sociable on at least one of my days off. This magnified by my propensity to take on the emotional baggage of those around me like some kind of pointless sponge and it leaves me carrying the stress and anxieties of those I have been in contact with long after I go home. As if that wasn't enough to drain me then couple with my stress eating sugar binge of late that never seems to end even though it often feels like I am on the cusp of quitting and much broken sleep and suddenly I go from functioning human to introvert running on 1% battery in the time it takes me to drive home from work.

This makes me ever so glad to have three week days off in a row with no pressure of social commitments and a partner who is busy working. This gives me the freedom to have the quiet time I crave and build myself backup again. Mind you staying up until 3 am reading might not have quite the restorative effect I was hoping for.

So when you ask how my days off went and what I got up to and I reply not very much , let's just be clear. I did not have a boring few days, in fact it was glorious and by the time I am back in work I will be an introvert fully charged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..