It's the most wonderful time of the year

It's Christmas eve and I will admit I'm feeling a bit of pre Christmas excitement. I've always anticipated Christmas with a child-like glee so I was pretty gutted last year when I found myself on nights for Christmas weekend and missed the big day entirely.

I have had a lot of different jobs in the 17 years since I have left school ( just give me a quick moment while I freak out about how old that makes me feel) and this has meant a lot of different working arrangements around Christmas. It's funny how my attitude towards the holidays has changed over the years. I remember when I worked in AOL being unsure one year if I would get 4 or 5 days off together and being very upset because clearly Christmas was ruined. I laugh about it now having since worked many retail jobs where you work right up to Christmas Eve and then find yourself back at work on the 27th.

Obviously I'm now in social care which is a totally different ball game and the people we support dont stop needing support because it's the holidays. This is my third Christmas in this line of work. The first year I was lucky, the young woman I cared for went home for a few days over Christmas and I got to celebrate it as normal. Then last year I was in a different job and found myself starting night duty in mid December and having my long weekend fall on Christmas kind of killed it for me but also gave me a bit of much needed perspective. 

It meant that whatever I was working this Christmas it would be an improvement on last year. And so it happened that I'm off this weekend but in for a half day tomorrow. Initially I was disappointed but I do get a few days off together once I finish work and I should be able to salvage most of my Christmas day but most importantly after last year any sort of celebration feels like a win. It does help knowing that the few hours I will be in work won't be too arduous. Many of those living in the house will be with families and we have lovely Christmas day planned for those that remain so it probably won't feel much like work at all and it really is a lovely time of year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..