Laura goes adventuring

Lately I decided I'd really like to go hill walking. There's a group in Kilkenny that go fairly regularly and really there was nothing stopping me bar a complete lack of experience and proper outdoor wear.

So far ( it being only 6 days in) this month is going well for me. Ive gotten in a few nice walks, I've been using headspace regularly, for the most part I'm eating well and I'm getting back into a good gym routine so this seemed like it could be something else to try in my mission to be more active.

There's a number of reasons I'd like to try this . My first one is a little ridiculous, the nerd in me is intrigued as to what sort of stats I'll get on my fitbit from such an endeavour. Also Sunday is a bit of nothing day for me. When I'm off I never have much planned and much as I like pottering around the house, it would be nice to have something different to do. Lastly its because I'm discovering I feel better when I get some fresh air. Who knew being out in nature is good for you. You'd swear I hadn't spent a good chunk of my childhood being dragged up mountains, kept going with the promise of a sweet or a shop that never existed ( I was a gullible child) 

Now before I go taking out a loan to kit myself out in all the right walking gear, it has occurred to me that this could go one of two ways. I might decide I love it, hill walking could be my new thing. Afterall they meet on Sundays when the gym is not open and I'm often not working . The other equally likely possibility is that I might realise mid hike that this is really not my thing and then I'd be in awkward position if I had bought all the latest outdoor wear.

So being the smart woman I am I paid my parents a visit asking to borrow hiking boots. And I came away with a loan of boots, a thermal top, a thermal scarf/neckwarmer and a waterproof outdoor jacket and so my fate was decided.

Now I've few other bits  ( like a decent backpack) to get but it looks like I'll soon be all set to walk up Mount Coumshingaun this coming Sunday. Now I know I'm not a regular hill walker but I'm reasonably fit and I'm hoping some of the work I've done in the gym will help, if nothing else I have learned to push on when I'm tired and sore. My mostly borrowed gear is a little worn so I wont immediately stick out as a complete novice. Im looking forward to the challenge. who knows, they might make a hill walker out of me yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..