The mansplaining epidemic

As a newly single woman I have made an extra effort to be more sociable and meet new people which goes against everything I believe in. Really all I wanted to do is rediscover the lost art of flirting. Well its been lost to me because I sure as hell got out of practice while in a long term relationship. As I mentioned in an earlier blog post this has mostly happened on the interweb. Naturally this medium has given me the opportunity to interact with any number of perverts and miscreants. Fortunately not everyone I have talked to deserves this label but I have noticed a worrying trend with the normal and somewhat nicer men that haven't been relegated to my blocked list.

Naturally when you are getting to know someone you talk about your interests and often a comment on my now slimmer figure leads to me mentioning I crossfit. Despite the fact that majority of men I have spoken to do not weight train themselves, they are only dying to share their wealth of knowledge on the topic. Now I have been doing this for a number of years to some degree so i am not in fact totally clueless. I also have the privilege to be coached by some very good coaches who know all the things about training and nutrition that I do not and I am more than happy to take their advice and guidance.

What I don't need is men who know less than nothing about my diet or lifestyle lecturing me on how best to live my life. All this advice comes from the belief that as a woman I am clearly unqualified to know what I am doing. I have had so much unsolicited advice on how to eat and train and rest that I could write a particularly terrible book on the subject. I have also been told multiple times to not get too strong and to be careful not to lose my curves ( I believe this is code for boobs). Last time I checked this was actually body and I can do whatever I want with it.

Just so we're clear, men of the internet, your advice is not required. When I do need support, I know exactly where to go for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..