Making adult friends

As a grown up making friends is really hard to do. I moved to Kilkenny a short time ago and I still don't know very many people which I know is normal but can still be tough at times. It doesn't help matters that having worked here the last two years, I didn't exactly import a load of friends from Waterford either. Some people make friends very easily but I have not been one of those and mostly I am okay with that. I am not your usual woman and in many ways I am an acquired taste. I don't always make the best first impression but usually over time I grow on people or else they take an instant dislike to me. I am the marmite of people.

Over time and as I have gotten older I have grown to accept myself a lot more. I no longer look to change my quirks but accept my uniqueness and hope to befriend others who think its a plus. I'm also very good in my own company which is good because I have been spending a good bit of time in it since moving into my own place here.

I have a small group of friends acquired through various jobs that I see irregularly but I am hoping to expand my social circle a little bit more.
I recently went on a Kilkenny Girlcrew night out which I was initially filled with trepidation over. I was worried no one would show up or that it would awkward and I would have nothing to say to this group of women. Admittedly my brief interaction with the Waterford branch never lead to anything negative but I am a worrier by nature. It's what I do best. Anyway I swallowed by nerves and went along to a night out last Friday and with only sparkling water to give me courage, I got on fine. Everyone was lovely, we had some fun but I was forced to do a Cinderella and leave by Midnight as I had a ridiculously early start.

I am hoping to connect with them again soon and maybe start to form the beginnings of a social life down here. I have the gym where I am on nodding terms and occasional small talk and I did try out yoga and would really like to do more of it. I think I had become very cut off socially in Waterford and that was one of the things that motivated me to move and start over. Brand new start and all of that. 

As I am sure most of you are aware, I didn't move down here in the positive of circumstances but I don't feel the need to dwell on the past, it is what it is. Instead I am hoping to make the most of where I am now and do better, every cloud and all that. As always I will keep you posted either way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..