The Riptide experience

Saturday just gone, I went to see the Riptide Movement play in Vicar Street, Dublin. Perhaps you don't know of them, in which case you have probably been living somewhere very remote where music is forbidden ( like the town in Footloose) and if that's the case then please accept my commiserations. They are an up and coming rock band from Lucan, Dublin and they are headed for great things. The funny thing is this time last year I had never heard of them. I do enjoy going to gigs but up until the last few months, I didn't do it very often so you could say I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoyed going on fancy holidays and designer make up (vicariously through others ). Then last December my boyfriend asked me to accompany him a freezer sessions free gig in the Forum. Naturally I said yes but I asked around to see if anyone knew much about the band. Everyone had good things to say and seen them play at least once so it seems I was the only person around saying the Riptide who? I wasn't saying that for long, the gig was great and I bought their first album after and listened to it on repeat until my head needed a break as I am prone to do whenever I find a band I like.

In the months that have passed I have bought their new album and given that a similar treatment, playing the The Riptide on a loop. The only thing I like more than seeing a really good band play is seeing a really good band play once I have listened to their album. It somehow magnifies the enjoyment you take from it when you know the songs well enough to join in a little. So it's probably an understatement to say that I was excited when Saturday came and I was all dressed up and ready to see The Riptide Movement live for the second time but this time I was no longer an apprehensive new comer wondering if I would like their songs but a bonafide groupie waiting to hear my favourites.

We arrived at the venue about  an hour before the band were due on and opted to skip the support act to have a drink or two in the bar before hand. Shortly before the gig was due to start we assumed our positions close to the front but not so close that we would get squashed by the over excited drunken revellers. The lights dimmed and one by one the lads ran on stage and the atmosphere in Vicar Street was electric with excitement. I can't tell you how long its been since I've been at gig where I've known so many songs and as good as they sounded on the album, it was even better live. I was dancing around the place barely even minding the drunken fans with no spatial awareness who in their excitement were virtually dancing on top of me. 

The whole gig I danced away in my little corner of Vicar street, not bothering to get another drink or head to the bathroom as I didn't want to miss anything. I'd had a few drinks before the gig and truth be told by about three songs in, I really needed to pee but I kept waiting for them to play a song that I was willing to miss and it didn't happen. Every song was better than the next and the energy from the band was great, you could tell how much they were enjoying it. They played all of my favourites from Hot Tramp to animal but I was holding out for their single 'it all works out'. You've probably seen it as they made an awesome video using Amy Huberman and it's catchy as hell. The whole way through the show I was thinking it would be amazing if they were to finish with it but they played song after song and it started to seem more and more unlikely. Then they left the stage and I hoped it would be the encore but they promised two songs and they were two great songs but not what I was waiting for. At this point I gave up, they played another song and I had resigned myself to not hearing that track live and said I would just enjoy that final song. Except it wasn't the final song at all, the clever bastards and when I heard the  opening beats to 'it all works out' being played, I actually shrieked and then proceeded to jump around like a lunatic singing a long, it turns out I listened to that song so much I knew every word. When Mal (the lead singer) climbed down from the stage to sing with the crowd, I swear I actually fangirled a little. With that awesome close, the gig came to an end and I was left with sore legs (from jumping) and a feeling of giddyness.

The Riptide are playing down here (Waterford) on Halloween night and I will be there with actual bells on. I will even brave Shortts bar (my least favourite venue because of its resemblance to a sardine tin when at capacity ) to see them and it will be worth it. If you have any sense, you'll be there too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..