All about breakfast club


It's a Tuesday and its been two whole weeks since the last cult classics cinema so it's that time again. The movie of choice was The breakfast club and my boyfriend had already declared he would not be going as he did not enjoy movies about teenagers.I was pretty disappointed but then we had no plans on a Tuesday night so I used my womanly wiles to persuade him. By that I mean I texted him while he was on his way to my place and asked if he would reconsider giving the movie a go and seeing as he was feeling particularly sound, he agreed.

My memories of The Breakfast Club are somewhat hazy given that I was 8 when the 80s came to an end and had only watched the film once in a fit of old movie nostalgia as opposed to reliving my youth. I had my fashion highs in the 90s wearing such gems as a rather flash shell 
Suit and other items I'd care not to mention but you don't see anyone digging out 90s fashion With the same level of zeal. 

So we sat In the back of the Theatre Royal clutching popcorn with me looking forward to the movie ahead and himself beside me feeling a certain level of trepidation and wondering what he'd gotten himself in for as he scanned tune mostly female audience. The movie did not disappoint bringing a good mix of drama and comedy plus the fact that I have an appalling memory so I only had a vague notion of where the story was going. In some ways it was as though I was watching it for the first time. 

Seeing as it wasn't actually my first viewing, I was able to come up with a couple of observations. Firstly, we had chosen to sit at the very back because there weren't many seats left by the time we arrived but this turned out be a good thing because at key moment in the movie some sort of glittery and other paper confetti rained down from the balcony above and our seats allowed us to marvel at how pretty it looked without having to spend two hours after picking bits of it out of our hair. Also I still kind of find it bizarre that Molly Ringwald was once considered the hot girl in a number of 80s movies but perhaps that's In light of the fact that she seems to have disappeared from the world of acting and seen through the lens of popular leading ladies today, she doesn't quite hit the mark. It didn't escape my notice that the really annoying habit movie and tv casting directors have of casting much older actors for the teenage roles was very much alive and well in the 80s. The bad boy John Bender ( played by Judd Nelson ) looked the same age as the teacher and I checked into this , he was 25 at the time. Obviously this trend peaked during Dawson's creek when they had 17 years played by actors that looked to be in their thirties. We do need to take a moment to acknowledge the wonderful 80s fashion this movie showcased, In fairness to it , while I won't be making any changes to my wardrobe after seeing it, I didn't inwardly cringe at the notion people once dressed that way. All in all, I had another great night at cult classics cinema and even heard my boyfriend say he enjoyed it much more than he expected to.

At the end of the night , the Halloween special was announced. I had been informed by a reliable source that it was between poltergeist and the exorcist at last count and I was not impressed by this at all but clearly the vote made tonight changed it up because when the announcement was made, we were told nightmare on elm street had won. That was the one I had voted for so I
Will neither confirm nor deny the rumours that I let out a high pitched squeal upon hearing the winning movie. 

So at midnight on Halloween (Friday 31st) in Theatre Royal , cult x
Classics cinema will be showing nightmare on elm street. I will be going there straight from the Riptide Movement gig in Shortts bar, ready to have the pants scared off me. I have heard rumours that it's all bells and whistles for this one with mentions of all sorts of surprises and Dancers. It's going to be epic, that much is for sure 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..