What is punk poetry anyway ?

Having been terribly boring Saturday night and staying in only to fall asleep at a ridiculously early time, we decided that Sunday we were going out. Lucky for us Central Arts had a gig on, a chap called Jinx Lennon who was described as a satirical punk poet. Now if you are anything like me, you will have no idea what you're walking into with a description like that but with  the promise of comfy seating and a sense of adventure we said we would pop down for a look anyway.

I know I have previously confessed my interest in poetry, although I am not sure confessed is the right word, it's hardly a shameful secret. I will say that the mention of poetry in an event usually piques my interest particularly if it's not your run of the mill poetry reading. A poetry reading is all very well and good if you actually like the poems being read, otherwise it can prove to be a real snooze-fest. After my recent night at a spoken word event, I am eager to go to more and when I heard about this event, I may have been thinking it could be a long the same lines but wasn't really sure where the music and punk would come into it.

So the gig begins and this man in a suit, with the thickest Dundalk accent you've ever heard, who I assume is Jinx ( I am correct in this assumption) takes to the stage and at first I think so punk poetry is really just another word for shouty poetry set to music but that's really the most basic breakdown of what he does and to describe it as that would be unfair to him. The reality of it is a lot cleverer than that. As he got further into the set I realised that each song was done in parody of a particular music genre and the lyrics really were remarkably clever and at times hilarious. I will admit I am not sure if everything was intended to be as funny as myself and my boyfriend found it but we certainly enjoyed the show. A lot of it was also completely bonkers, in a good way and it would be hard to compare it to anything else I have seen. Mostly because I don't think I have seen anything like this before. 

It was certainly something different but it's good to experience new things and broaden your horizons. At least now I know what to expect when I hear the term punk poetry. I have included a link to one of his videos in case you would like to check him out for yourself 
http://youtu.be/uYUe8VxPDMY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..