October festivities

I have been rather lax in blogging over the last few days and I have no real explanation other than the fact that I have been lazy and otherwise occupied. October is a big cultural month in my calendar because there is plenty of stuff on and I will be going to lots of things. On Thursday night I was at an art exhibition and was left less baffled than my experience with modern but was still ready to leave after about five minutes. Stephen had asked me to join him but I hadn't factored in how tired I would be after doing my first two crossfit classes in about two weeks (given that I spent the time in between classes mostly eating sugary things and being lazy , you can guess it took a lot out of me) so I was only delightful company. We stayed longer than five minutes to witness the exhibition opening and toured the paintings many times while waiting for the speakers. During which time I was able to surmise that I liked the paintings of natural scenes more than I liked the ones of half naked women. I guess I am never going to be the sort of person who regularly visits art galleries, well at least not willingly but at least I am trying to broaden my cultural horizons.

The next event I was the launch of Jim Nolans' book (script of his play dreamland) last night. It is incorrect to say that I went to it because it happened in work so it was not like I really had any choice in attending but I did enjoy it all the same. There was a great buzz in the shop as we got a good turnout despite it happening on the stormiest of nights. Many a bottle of wine was drank and several people got up to speak at the launch. He had even gotten in an actor to read a little of the play which was very warmly received and then with a tumultuous round of applause the play was launched and Jim began signing and us girls in the backround started to quietly put the shop back together. It takes a lot more work than any one attending something like this realises. We had to gather, wash and dry every glass and sometimes it can be like playing where's wally but with glasses as they can be hidden in truly imaginative places, where ever the drinker of wine sees fit to abandon them. Then we have to lug and stack all of the borrowed chairs to the back door so they can be safely returned the following morning. With all that dragging and carrying and running up and down stairs, my t shirt was truly stuck to me , it was quite a beautiful feeling. All that being done it was time to close up show and I prepared to rally myself for a night out when all I really wanted was my bed.

After work, in nicer, cleaner clothes. I made my way to Downes with the boyfriend for Ocktoberfest where they bring in a brass band and import a german beer for the occasion and there was great buzz there. I decided to treat myself to a glass of pinot grigio and got a lovely light wine for my money. I will readily admit to being no wine connoisseur as for me wine falls into two categories, this tastes nice and I will drink it or this does not taste nice, I don't like it. The wine I was drinking fell into the first category and I even had two more because I was enjoying it so much, all the while thinking to myself that I like wine and its a nice friendly drink. The brass band finished about an hour after we arrived just in time for the dj to set up and play a lot of 80's and 90's rock think whitesnake and acdc with the odd power ballad thrown in, to a very appreciative audience and I was enjoying the music and the nice buzzy feeling from the wine. All the while I was watching a group near us who must have been around a decade older than me and they were all nicely merry and acting fairly unattached if that was to be judged by the amount of flirting going on/ 'sexy dancing' from the women. There was also some selfies being posted to facebook in real time and it was bit like watching greying teenagers. It made me feel a bit sad , in a ghost from christmas future type way making me hope in 10 years time that's not where I am. Maybe it was just all my lovely wine making me introspective. Soon after we headed home and here I am this morning  typing this not thinking such friendly thoughts about wine this morning. My stomach is churning and I am hanging on for the coffee I will be buying enroute to work. 

I still have a busy month ahead. We're seeing a play tonight and going to a talk on Tuesday. We're heading to Kilkenny on Saturday for the zombie festival and a food festival and then we have halloween and all sorts of merriment around then. Lots of fun to be had and I will be the most cultural of foxes. I'm sure I'll find to check in on here every so occasionally. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..