Who you gonna call ???

D
Tonight myself and the boyfriend went to see Ghostbusters in the Theatre Royal as part of the twice monthly cult classics cinema. If you don't know it, it's run by a chap called Dennis ( who works for the theatre ) and some of his friends help out with photography , special effects and lighting and so on. The movies are chosen by the public on the cult classics cinema Facebook page but there is also voting on the night so this week we got to vote on the next one. The breakfast club won but I had been hoping on Team America. Sadly that didn't even make the top three so it wont get carried over to the next vote. I guess I'll just have to watch it at home but it wont be the same. 

Tonight's performance was different to the other shows I've been to in that there was a lot more small people present. Most of them looked a little young for the movie.
The last performance had been Mrs Doubtfire, the first child friendly movie to be shown and I think Ghostbusters won because of all the kids present who then went on and bought tickets for it. 

As usual it was interactive and the theatre must have been destroyed after we had been sprayed with fake snow, bits of paper and party poppers at key moments during the film. It certainly added to the whole experience and the kids loved it judging by all the whooping and cheering that went on. 

I don't know if you know this but Ghostbusters is thirty years old this year. That means I was two when it came out, obviously it was a few more years before I actually watched but it's clearly been a long time because it wasn't until I watched the movie that I realized how sketchy my memory of the whole thing was. The whole opening sequence was like a film I'd never seen before and as we got into it, it started to come back to me in bits and pieces and my enjoyment of it, as a classic movie, was renewed. The special effects seen thirty years on were hilariously bad but Bill Murray's one liners were brilliantly timed and I laughed at every one of them. I don't know if the kids who were watching it for the first time saw what I did but they certainly seemed to enjoy every moment judging by the excited chatter in the foyer as we were leaving.

Between the enjoying a classic movie , the delicious popcorn and the reasonable 
Ticket price (€9- best €9 you'll ever spend ). I think cult classics cinema might be my favourite way to spend a Tuesday. Next time it will The Breakfast Club, Tuesday 14th November at 8.30 in Theatre Royal. Maybe I'll see you there 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..