my favourite things

Not to get all sound of music here but to contrast the mini rant from the last post I have decided to rave about a few of my favourite things. Rest assured, there are no raindrops on roses in this post and quite frankly I feel that anyone who classes that as one of their favourite things needs to get out more and see some of the world.

Okay so first things first. I do find that's best, whenever I do first things second everyone gets a little confused. 1) currently one of my absolute favourite things is booja-booja. If you have not heard of booja-booja you need to sort that shit out because you are missing a whole world of deliciousness. well you know how you might have said at some point I really wish that someone would make ice cream that's not bad for you, well I hope you are sitting down because I have some news for you! some genius actually has and its delicious. I swear this is not a trick to sneakily get you eating healthily, I think it sounds made up and you wont get what I'm on about but when you taste it, its like whoa and you read the ingredients (water, cashews, agave syrup and cocoa powder -yes that's right that's it) and your head implodes.
Now I wont say literally implodes because it just so happens that the misuse of the word literal is a pet hate of mine that I accidentally forgot to give out about.
anyway you eat this Ice-cream and it's like a foodgasm in your mouth and it messes with your head because it tastes so good but there's nothing bad in it and you will probably conclude, much like I did after extensive research*, that witchcraft is clearly at play here. There's no other explanation.
* I have done no research on this bar many samplings of the flavors of booja-booja.

2) Cross-fit - another recent Interest of mine. How do you know if someone does Cross-fit, don't worry they'll tell you :).
So before I wax lyrical about the joys of being beaten in a gym let me first paint you a picture as you are probably imagining that I'm someone who was always fit as a fiddle (who came up with this expression and who is this person testing the fitness of fiddles?) but this is not the case. I have only been taking care of myself for just under two years now previous to that my exercise regime consisted of eating chips and bitching and moaning about how fat I was getting. Not surprisingly this is an incredibly ineffective regime so I was eventually forced to give it up.
So I'm sitting around on my lazy ass wondering how I change and meanwhile my sister and her husband have been running a gym doing something demented, I believe that's how I referred to it at the time.
 I approached for help and reluctantly began my journey into cross-fit, I was red and sweaty and my favourite catch phrases were 'I can't' and 'this is too hard'. My early workouts had me crippled and I crab walked down stairs for days afterwards and practically needed assistance getting off the loo.

 Gradually things started to change and somehow without realizing it I stopped being that girl at the back of a class doing a half assed burpee. Workouts stopped being something I endured and started being something I looked forward to. They say its like a cult but a really good cult and I am a total convert, I've become that girl, you know the one. The really annoying fit one who cant shut up about fitness and all the time I'm laughing because the thought that I'm that girl is kind of insane. I can do two classes in one day and I feel sad when I go too long without exercising.

I recently did my very first chin-up and you'll have to excuse my language here but it was fucking awesome. Several months ago I said Id like to eventually learn to do it because I didn't think I was anywhere near strong enough and suddenly boom there I am actually lifting myself above the bar, as my sister says I guess that kind of makes me warrior and I've walking around since then grinning inanely. I foolishly tried to tell someone in work about it and of course had to explain what a chin-up was and she looked at me like why would you want to do that. I thought she doesn't get because she doesn't forge, she doesn't cross-fit but I do

3) Books - if you have stellar deductive skills, well not only will you make a great detective someday but you've probably already worked out from my blog that I like books.
That's not quite true, I love books. I was that anti social kid who sat in the corner so absorbed in my book I didn't even know you were there.

 As I've aged my social skills have improved dramatically but my love of books has not diminished. I carry a book in my handbag lest an opportunity to read crop up wherever I am. Recently I even brought a book with me to the cinema, I thought I might get there early and the book was really good but I know its not socially acceptable to cancel a date because you really want to keep reading.

The power of a book to take me out of my own head still astounds me, many the time when I've been reading during my lunch hour and I momentarily get so absorbed in the book I actually forget where I am until someone breaks the spell and I'm filled briefly with a panic that I've gone over my lunch.

Most people will take a break after a book but I find that difficult to do so while my preference is for literary fiction I will often cleanse my literary palette with a bit of popular fiction. Now while I do appreciate how popular fiction allows me to switch off mentally it has reached the stage where most of it is borderline insulting to women. Leaving out the 50 shades of grey, and its many illegitimate spawn for obvious reasons, I also avoid Nicholas sparks as I have no real desire to read about star crossed lovers who are kept apart while one of them reunites with an estranged parent and some close relative dies of cancer. apologies If I have inadvertently spoiled the plot of every Nicholas sparks books ever written. I also avoid Cecelia Ahearne as I have sampled a few of her offerings and found them to be meaningless drivel aimed at target audience of Westlife fans.or so I imagine but I have read enough of the other stuff to see a pattern.

 So many different women are writing girl meets boy, obstacle drives them apart and then they reunite within pages of the final chapter and I'm sorry but that's not what books should be about. My six year old niece could write that given the template. It bothers me to think how many people are missing out on the characters and colours and whole worlds inside a good novel. but I sleep soundly at night with an ever towering stack on my bedside table

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..