Laura loves pancakes !!

Some people only eat pancakes on special occasions like pancake Tuesday and it wasn't that long ago that I was one of those people . When I had to give up wheat I put pancakes on the long list of yummy things Laura can no longer eat until last year when I started baking and experimenting and I decided enough was enough, I was going to learn to make some pancakes. 

my first attempt was an epic disaster. I used almond flour on its own ( it's essentially ground almonds so a flour in name only) and far too much coconut sugar and ended up with this sickly sweet brown gloop that refused to fry and wasn't recognizable as any sort of pancake I've ever seen and then I found a recipe that worked but was later forced to abandon it when I realised I was inadvertently using a flour that contained gluten( Silly Laura). For a good while then I just gave them up and lived a miserable pancake free existence. 
This was probably set to go on forever but then I started making spelt ( a less processed form of wheat that's easier to digest) pancakes for my boyfriend and I couldn't resist having one or two myself. I'm not really supposed to have much spelt because it usually makes me ill after a few days in a row of eating it but sometimes I like to live on the edge. 

I decided I cant go on eating all the pancakes and then getting sick like I do with all the other delicious foods so I set about trying to make a pancake that wouldn't make me sick. Now anyone who has looked at gluten free recipes online or in cookbooks probably thinks this is no problem because a plethora of recipes can be found at just the click of a mouse. The problem is that most of those recipes taste like muck so gluten free pancakes is more of a challenge than it first seems. I tried a few weeks ago to make them mixing buckwheat flour with almond flour and my creation looked like a pancake and it smelled like a pancake. Unfortunately it fell apart as soon as I picked it up and it tasted a lot like sadness and disappointment. Naturally I did what anyone in my situation would do and went back to making spelt pancakes and then waited anxiously for my stomach to start protesting.

I have now reached a happy compromise. By mixing the spelt flour with barley flour I have much friendlier to my tummy pancake while still maintaining all its deliciousness. Happy days. Lets get our pancake on. If you'd like to give it a go, Here's the recipe

1.5 0z barley flour
1.5 oz spelt flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tbl coconut sugar
2 eggs
coconut milk

Mix the flours and baking powder together and then add the coconut sugar
mix the eggs in a separate bowl and then mix them into the flour using a fork
gradually add milk until pancakes have the right consistency.
If you over do it then add a bit more flour

cook for 2-4 minutes on medium heat in a frying pan.
You'll know its time to turn them when the mixture starts bubbling 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..