Not doing any favours to the reputation of women drivers

I think this has been the longest I've gone without blogging and I've been feeling a weird sort of guilt or perhaps laziness about my lack of effort on that front. Nothing eventful had happened and everything would have felt forced so I let it go and forget the way my life likes to hand me some new topic or mishap. Thanks life.

So I'm off work tomorrow and usually I drive to Clonmel after work to ensure maximum crossfitting on a day off so naturally that was the plan tonight. I'd put some petrol in the car when I was home last Friday and even though the gage showed it was low I thought I had enough to get back to Clonmel or at least if I was getting dangerously low that a light would flash on my car and I would just make my way to the nearest petrol station and rectify the situation. It all seemed pretty straight forward , right.
So I left my place at 6 and headed onto the quay to join some of the worst traffic I've ever encountered in Waterford. I was crawling along in an endless stream of cars, constantly having to stop. I was getting impatient and worrying about making it to my class on time and then to make that better my car kept cutting out and I couldn't work out why. 
I'd get to start up again and I was hoping I could just get as far as somewhere to park it and then I'd go get some petrol and it would all be fine. 
Sadly that's not how my life works. I'm still travelling down the quay inches at a time and then stopping but alarmingly my car keeps shaking every time I'm stopped in traffic but it still didn't prepare me for  when it cut out completely. No life whatsoever and  traffic ahead of me is moving steadily on while the endless line of cars behind me is probably wondering what the hell is going on.

Meanwhile I am sitting in my car doing my best not to panic about the fact that I'm holding up an entire line of traffic and  I don't know how to get my car sans petrol out of the way. 
I am aware at this point that now would be an opportune time to turn on my hazard lights, assuming that my car has them. Its shame I don't know how to go about doing that. 
Luckily I didn't have to spend the night in my car, on the quay while I worked this out.
Just as I was feeling myself starting to panic, some good Samaritan, sporting a bluetooth headset , came to my rescue and offered to push my car out of the way of traffic.
It was probably my panicked face that made him come forward but by God did I appreciate.
Then he solicited help from another passer by and they pushed the car until I had it safely parked and out of the way. I was grateful to my knight in bluetooth headset and embarrassed by my own idiocy. Conveniently, at this stage I was just around the corner from my boyfriends so I had him come meet me and we walked to the nearest petrol station where I sheepishly explained my predicament whereby he had a little chuckle and showed me where the containers they sold for petrol were. Now,unsurprisingly, I have never put petrol into anything but my own car so I put the hose too far into the car and ended getting sprayed with a lot of petrol. The boyfriend told me that petrol in the eye is not a pleasant experience. This was duly noted. 
After all this drama I returned to my car and filled her up and made my way back to my apartment for a quiet night. It was not my brightest moment but at least I got a blog post out of it 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..