Here come the (sort of ) brides

Last year we had a wedding fair in the Bookshop where I work. I'm only there two years this May but I've been lead to believe this is something the shop has been doing for a few years now. Anyway I was cajoled into modelling along with several other girls in the shop and it was all nerves and excitement as we went for dress fittings and then had our hair and make up done. Now I distinctly remember at the time, quipping to my parents that they might want to stop by because it was the only chance they were going to get to see me in a wedding dress. Yet here we are a year on  and I'm still working in the shop so of course we're having this years wedding fair tomorrow evening and I'm going to be a bride again so here I am making a liar out of myself. So this year I wont say it's your only opportunity to see me as a bride because God only knows I very well may be modelling in next years show.

In truth, I agreed to participate because it's easier to say yes than it is to say no and I didn't have any major objections to the idea. Plus if I am going to have to work on a Tuesday night then I may as well do so in a wedding dress. I was thinking about wearing a pretty white dress ( I am a spiller so I don't wear a lot of white) and having my hair and make up done and maybe a few glasses of wine plus some photos of me looking all pretty post makeover. Sure who wouldn't sign up. As the night itself draws closer, I have begun to remember some salient facts that it seems I had forgotten in the haze of last years fair. Such as how much I enjoy working from 9 until 5.30 and then staying on till after 9pm and also how this means I don't get a proper dinner. I think last year I ate a coconut slice (health food treat thing ) and some fruit a few hours before the fashion show so the wine went straight to my head. On the other hand it did help calm the nerves I was feeling about walking down a mini runway. Last year I had no proper heels and so my biggest worry was stepping on the end of my very expensive borrowed dress so this year I cleverly retrieved a pair I'd abandoned at my parents house. I threw them in a corner of my room and then forgot all about them until about an hour ago when I remembered the reason I don't keep the shoes down here is that they are incredibly painful to walk in. I thought it might be smart to at least attempt to break them in and so I am hobbling around my kitchen in a manner that is less gazelle and more injured baby elephant.
If it lessens the likelihood of me falling on my ass tomorrow night then its worth it.

For the most part I'm feeling prepared but then again all I have to do is show up and go where I'm told.
I had cleverly thought ahead and baked myself some noms, buns and cookies, unfortunately I forgot to account for my own gluttony so the buns and cookies are no more. Hopefully the dress will still fit.
I have convinced the boyfriend to come watch, promising him free wine and cake and a small bit of reassurance that no suit is required and I wont be ambushing him with a priest ( to take advantage of the wedding dress) and I'm told some of my family might make an appearance so hopefully it will be a fun night but don't worry I'll keep you all posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..