No dessert for me thanks.

Being on a restrictive diet isn't a whole lot of fun but it's not all doom and gloom either. I am not eating some things because they make me ill and others because I am doing this thirty day thing with the gym but you should see peoples faces in any where they serve food when they realise they have nothing to offer me. 

It's not as gloomy as you might imagine though and there are some aspects to it that I do actually like. Like for one when I am  not eating junk I feel better both physically and emotionally, I sleep better and my skin is clearer and you can't really argue with that.

The other good thing particularly when it comes to me not being able to eat wheat is it rules out a whole load of food items straight away. Now that I mention it, that's also the worst thing about not being able to eat wheat. One thing I have discovered about myself is that I am almost completely lacking in self restraint so if I was hoping my own desire to stay healthy to stop me from having another slice of toast or delicious piece of cake then I would be sorely mistaken and probably fat ( if my pre wheat intolerance days are anything to by).
So it does help when someone brings another cake or bun thing into work (it happens all the time in work) I don't have to weigh up the pros and cons of having a large dose of sugar with my coffee break, I see wheat and my brain puts it in the not for me category so it might as well be meat. Sugar on the other hand takes a bit more of the gritted teeth and reminding myself of the loon I turn into on a sugar binge.

This will probably not reflect well on me but by far my favourite thing of all about my restrictive diet is when I am out somewhere with my boyfriend, it might be a restaurant or a food festival or somewhere they are handing out samples of food and Stephen gets himself a dessert/ sample of desserty thing. Naturally they always offer the same to me and I tell them I am fine, not hungry and so on or sometimes I will go into the whole story of my restricted diet while they look on aghast. They usually assume (when I don't explain) that its because of cost or that I am on a diet and offer to bring another spoon so we can share but I say we only need the one spoon thanks and the waiting staff will almost always turn to Stephen and look at him like he is the meanest boyfriend ever as they assume my lack of dessert is down to him (like I would ever allow a man to forbid me to eat cake).

That all being said, it could be argued that I am choosing to look on the bright side because there's some aspects of my diet I cannot change. I will stay vegetarian by choice and seeing how I have been doing it 32 years, you can say I am sort of an expert at it and I wont ever eat wheat again unless I want to suffer for the privilege but the rest is somewhat negotiable. I realised the other day that even though I am three weeks in to the thirty day challenge that it's actually been almost two months since I had any alcohol and I can't say I have missed it but then again aside from the odd gig, I haven't had to be out in bars or the like so it might be a different story around Christmas. I do find that sugar free suits me better as I always have om bars and coconut sugar for baking and I just feel better all round without it but I usually fall off the wagon at some point so only time will tell. For now though I will content myself with publicly  looking sad while boyfriend eats dessert for one and I just sit across from him holding my empty spoon.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..