Surviving the 30 day challenge

I think everyone has a moment when they realise jeans have gotten a little tighter and tights start to roll down. I  had mine a few weeks ago and while I acknowledged on some level that I had put on weight and that I was by no means happy about this, I still did nothing to change the matter other than dress strategically and refuse to talk about it. I had done rather well in quitting sugar again but had unfortunately weaned myself off with the promise of spelt bread. The idea being that I would gradually ease that out of my diet and soon I'd be back to my slimmer self except I just ate quite a lot of bread and then didn't really want to stop.

So it was really rather good timing when I walked into an evening class at Crossfit Tipperary and saw they were starting a 30 day challenge of no wheat/ sugar/ alcohol and so I signed my name up before I could talk myself out of it. It only started last Monday and there was a workout being done by everyone taking part that would be done again at the end of the 30 days and progress is measured. The overall idea being that you get to see the difference not eating those foods has on your performance. Of course I missed the group workout as I was stuck in Waterford but I decided I would do it alone when I got down on Wednesday night. 
It was not a pleasant experience. It was 20 minutes of overhead swings, goblin squats, butterfly sit ups and burpees. A horribly unpleasant combination but the good news is I didn't die. I did however feel dizzy and pukey at more than one stage during the workout. I think that's a sign my liver was going into overdrive. Damn my liver does not like burpees.

At this point I am 7 days in with 23 more to go and It's going pretty okay. I won't say wonderful or fantastic because that's not really my style but while I haven't slipped I did come pretty close to having a melt down today in Ardkeen stores because I really really wanted some spelt bread but couldn't have any plus I was too hungry to function. I left without spelt bread and only a little whining and went home to have a big bowl of soup and suddenly I was okay again. I suppose I am not expecting miracles in 30 days but I do hope to be noticeably slimmer when the challenge is up. I have also cut out coffee, crisps and chips for the duration with this noble cause in mind.

Doing better on the workout after 30 days would be great but perhaps not my ultimate end goal. I was just hoping to do better than my diet in October when I decided I would dramatically clean up my diet and then had the worst month of eating in a long long time. So perhaps with the support of others I can get through 30 days or longer eating clean.
I don't miss the alcohol but since I went from drinking wine to soda water and vodka, there isn't a whole lot to miss. This morning a lot of people I know were on Facebook commiserating each other for dramatic hangovers and I had just finished making a weeks worth of soup and nut burgers. Probably not the most exciting Sunday morning but I was pretty happy with it. I am hoping to stay sugar free a little while longer but I am already planning to bake myself some buns (just once ) when the 30 days are up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..