The great big reset


 To say I have been overdue a holiday is understating things. I have been edging towards burnout and a break has been badly needed. I had some time off over the summer but it ended up not being much of a rest for a number of reasons part of which was the fact that I was on the cusp of realising I was autistic but not quite there yet. So I was experiencing a lot of issues other autistic people face but I didn't have the vocabulary or context for what I was going through and this had a knock on effect in other areas of my life. Looking at those months with hindsight it is blatantly obvious what was going on.

And so I planned a break so I could unwind, relax and maybe just restart my brain as though it was a tired old computer. I gave myself a long weekend to do regular things and then five days in Wexford because apparently I am like an ailing victorian woman who has been prescribed sea air and rest.

I set off Monday in torrential rain, a rain so heavy the road disappeared. Not my ideal driving conditions by any standards but I was determined to get myself down and settled by the sea and so I bravely drove on. The heavy rain brought floods to many areas meaning a detour was necessary and I still ended up driving my car through flooded roads and pretty much crossed my fingers that my car would make it through intact. It is fair to say it was a fairly stressful journey and If I hadn't needed the break setting out, I felt fairly sure I had earned it by the time I reached the door of my new home for the next few days.

Since then operation reset has begun and there have been no more dramas since I unpacked unless you count the fact that in the year since I was last here I have apparently forgotten how to light a fire. I did bring some emergency sensory items that now travel by my side but it seems that in an environment where I have full control over the lights and noise that I have little need for them. I can't remember the last time I have had this little sensory overload for a prolonged period of time. I have exactly the right amount of sensory input, a goldilocks level if you will.

The aim overall of the trip has been to do a number of things. Just clear my head, destress , enjoy some peace and quiet and indulge in some of my favourite things. These include reading, watching shows, walks, collecting seaglass and taking some scenic photos and if I can minimise interactions over these few days then all the better.

so far I am nailing it. I have been reading and relaxing. I have been out in all weathers. I have collected lots of seaglass although I will always want more. I have been out walking and gotten some lovely photos and I have managed to not speak to another person since before I drove down here on Monday.

The overall plan is to do more of the same over the next few days before dragging myself back to reality Friday. I think my head will be all the better for it. I know this is not regular life and that will resume soon enough but for now I'm staying in holiday mode 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..