I'm so dedicated I could be a part-time groupie

Last night was culture night across Ireland and in cities across the country people were flocking to different venues to see music and film and art. I however was stuck on the book desk until after nine pm trying not to claw my own eyes out with boredom. A Friday night shift in a near empty bookshop is pretty painful as it is but it's made more so when you're counting down a lovely weekend off after seven days of non stop working. 
I had planned to central arts after work, I had a dress in my bag and tights on under my work pants but as the night wore on and last nights crappy sleep took its tole on me, I was starting to wish I could head home to my pyjamas and toast. 

I pulled myself together after work in a sleepy hungry sort of way and headed over to central arts with my boyfriend hoping there would be seats because I really didn't think I had it in me to stand for the gigs. The first band were really good but I wasn't really able to get into it and found myself propping my head up on Stephen's shoulder out of sheer tiredness. When they finished up we managed to nab ourselves a couch which made me a lot happier. I had heard a few tracks of Beef Supreme before because I had won their ep a week ago in a Central arts competition and was looking forward to hearing six rusty nails but I was so wiped I was half thinking of making my way home to bed. Nothing like being out and daydreaming about your pyjamas. Well that changed when the band came out. I figured Id be kicking myself if I missed the opportunity to hear them live and I was right. As good as the previous band were, I enjoyed Beef supreme far more. 

For some reason seeing what the band actually look like changed how I listened to the music and had me going from yea this song is really catchy to thinking I needed to hear more of this stuff. The lead singer was sporting an awesome beard that must have taken serious work and perhaps that shouldn't have made the band appeal to me more but it did. I liked the whole look he put together from the 'police line do not cross' guitar strap to the impressive beard.Not to mention the gravelly vocals that really gave life to the music.  The other main vocalist was dressed in contrast in a tight shirt with a bow tie and suspenders to well fitted pants and somehow it shouldn't have worked together but it did. They had a violin player who seemed like he was having his own party on the stage and they way the whole band interacted together just made it visually a lot of fun to watch.

I was glad I had made the effort to come out because myself and my boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed the whole gig. He particularly enjoyed playing a long to the mouth organ parts on my chain (which is a tiny but fully functional mouth organ) much to my embarrassment and concern that his slightly out of tune playing might be heard over the music (it wasn't or at least I don't think so) After the gig I got myself their album for only €5, I was pretty pleased with myself for that one. Much better value for money than the alcohol I could have bought instead. We did however sneak away before Duende dogs came on and that's the second time I have missed seeing them due to exhaustion. Oh well we'll get there someday soon. 
It was another great night put on at central arts and Beef supreme have earned themselves another two fans for sure.

As a side note I would like say the photo I used was taken by Stephen Butler. I figure if I'm going to steal it , I might as well give him due credit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..