Optimism - the faking it until you make it approach

I am not known for my positive thinking, in fact I think 'stop being so negative' is a phrase I've heard far too often. But after too long of feeling down, I've been taking steps to change this. So far its going okay, not amazing or anything but unless you count the night I watched the fault in our stars, I haven't been crying so that's a definite plus.

So here's what's been happening in the world of Laura amid my devious plot to seem like a much happier person in the hopes that it will make me a slightly happier person. I have been doing the 100 days of happiness for nine days now. Tweeting something that makes me feel happy every morning. I'm not going to say it has me like a disney princess on the way to work, I haven't been pausing on the quay to sing to the swans. But it has lifted my spirits a little bit so I'll keep going for another 91 days and see where it takes me.

I have also started a 30 day challenge just three days ago. Admittedly its not much but I found a link to a challenge on twitter where you do a number of exercises every other for a month and the reps increase each time. I decided it was a little easy so I made some changes and admittedly it doesn't take me very long to complete so far so its hardly a workout but it will get harder and so far its increasing my heart rate and giving me a much needed dose of endorphins so its making for a nice start to my mornings. I have a terrible habit of abandoning these sort of challenges once they get tough so I've tried something extra to motivate myself. I printed off a calendar for September and wrote down my exercises for every day with the correct number of reps and all. I stuck it up in my room where I can't avoid seeing it and everyday after I finish I have been drawing a smiley face on the day so I can see my progress. So far its working and its making me feel good.

I am making a real effort to walk more. I remember living just down the street from where I do now about three years ago before I got my car and lamenting that I only had a bike and that ardkeen stores was a pain to get to, if only I could drive. It's about a 20 minute walk away. I must have been really lazy or unfit then because now that I have a car I find myself walking there instead and wondering why I thought it was hassle. I know walking out there today to get spelt bread doesn't really count as going for a walk but it got me out in the air and moving so I'm still going to pat myself on the back for it. 

As well as all of that, I am making an effort to be more positive. it doesn't come naturally to me but practice makes perfect and all that. I am trying to take a moment here or there to appreciate the good things. Like this morning when I was lying in bed finishing my book because I could. And walking home today I made a list of things I like about my job thinking its better to focus on those than the things I don't like. All in all I'm feeling better even if no one is going to confuse me with little miss sunshine any day now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..