Laura never wins anything

I don't know if I'd call it a policy as such because that makes it sound far more deliberate than it is in reality but I am in the habit of not winning things. Okay calling it a habit makes it sound like I am doing it out of principle and I am not. I'm not very lucky, I never have been. I don't find that things come easily to me so it would be surprising to have someone describe me as being jammy. You know those people who have life just line up for them, the right opportunity comes  a long just when they need it, they are always in the right place at the right time, yes well I'm not one of those. 

Now I am not exactly a prolific contest enterer. I will enter the odd online competition here and there usually with the mindset that someone else is going to win it because I'm so positive like that. I don't buy scratch cards, I never have as I am the type to be annoyed with myself for wasting the one or two euros when I inevitably don't win anything. I don't play the lotto because I am aware that the reason that there is so much prize money at stake is because of all those poor suckers who are buying tickets week in, week out and I think I can do better with my money than add to a strangers fortune and eventual downfall if everything I have read about lotto winners is to believed.

That being said I have entered sufficient competitions in the last thirty two years to know I am not one for winning. Before today ( and I will get to that later) I have only won one other competition and that was less luck and more sort of cheating. When I was about nine or ten I entered a competition to name the kit kat pandas and you could win a giant panda teddy. I very excitedly filled in my entry form and I really really wanted to call the pandas Ann and Barry after the children's books. However my dad and older sister, being a little more tuned in to the whole idea behind the competition decided that I was to put tic and tac down as the names (kit kat backwards if you didn't immediately cop that) I was annoyed as I thought my names were much better but obviously the judges thought differently and a few weeks later my giant panda arrived and I was pretty pleased with myself. By that stage I had already forgotten that I didn't technically win that one. 

Anyway a few days ago I entered one of those like and share competitions on Facebook. I have done a few before and it's never gone anywhere but I still keep trying if the prize is good or its a brand I'm happy to plug. This one was from central arts (similar to red kettle in that I think it's more or less the same staff doing similar work in music and theatre) and if you won you got three cds and hey who doesn't like free stuff. Two for bands I am not familiar with (but hope to be soon) and the other was for in the willows. I'm going to their gig tomorrow night and was hoping to get one of their cds anyway so it was all good stuff.
Anyway you can imagine my surprise to get a facebook mail today informing that I have won the prize and making arrangements to get my cds to me. Now on one level it is just three cds, a pretty nice prize by all accounts but then on another it got me thinking. Does this means my luck has changed?

Should I immediately begin purchasing lottery tickets? What will I win next. I am not sure if I am now morally obliged to enter all of the competitions and rebrand myself as Laura the lucky one who wins all of the prizes instead of Laura who never wins anything. Or maybe I should just say thank you to central arts and enjoy my three cds for what they are, finally something worth listening to on my phone. I haven't quite decided yet, perhaps I'll ask the book of answers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..