The night I almost had pizza

I used to quite like pizza in that it was one of the few things I could eat out at a restaurant and then I had to give up all things wheat and out went pizza. In recent months I have been delving into the heady world of gluten free pizza even since an article in the Irish times mentioned how milanos are offering one and my previous liking for pizza has turned into a mild obsession. I had sort of made peace with the fact that I couldn't eat pizza. I kept my resentment to myself when everyone else tucked in. I ate other things and just got on with my life but now I get a little bit too excited when the possibility of pizza arises. 

So far I have been lucky because I know a gluten free base is pretty tough to make and it's not quite as tasty as a normal pizza but its close enough to keep me happy. Now you are probably wondering if this pizza is so good then why am I not having it every night and that's an excellent question. Milanos offers amazing pizza but they only offer it Cork, Dublin and Galway and they are all a bit far for a dinner out. Antchi Sapori in Waterford offer a lovely gluten free pizza but it would seem that demand is low enough that they need to be told about 12 hours in advance so they can make up a pizza base which kind of sucks all the spontaneity out of it. I like to have my pizza on a whim, you know.

Anyway I was out walking in Tramore with Stephen last week when he pointed out a restaurant that were said to offer lovely pizza and when I checked out their menu it mentioned a gluten free pizza. We immediately made plans to go eat there and I got very excited about the whole thing. I was thinking it was getting into the off season so I wouldn't need to book and we headed out there tonight after work so I could my pizza on. We arrive around seven to find the place absolutely throbbing with customers and we are lucky to get a table at all. I was getting a bit panicky at the thought of missing out on pizza and by now I was really hungry. We were seated and given menus and I started picking toppings to go on my pizza and I was salivating a little at thought. Then our waiter came to take our order and stamped all over my pizza dreams. Apparently the chef who used to make the gluten free pizza has been off sick for a few weeks and they don't have the recipe or something. All I could hear is that I couldn't have pizza. Normally I'd just leave and feed myself at home but I had already promised Stephen I'd treat him to a pizza so I sulkily ordered a small portion of fries and wished it was a pizza coming to me. It took absolutely ages because they were so busy and I can't say the fries did much to fill me but at least I got to watch Stephen eat a pizza that looked like it had half the sea on it. He had asked them to leave off the mussels which is good because I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from saying they looked like snots and then he would have been cross with me for ruining his pizza.

I'm told the pizza was lovely but I really wouldn't know and I might go back and try it some time but I will make sure to call ahead and see if they have discovered a magical formula for gluten free pizza to save myself from another hangry outburst. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..