and all I want to do is read ...

Friday is one of those days where I should have loads of free time in the morning, at least on the ones that I'm working, and yet I don't. It's a mystery where time goes. I have been up since 7 this morning and soon it will be time to be rushing to work, my morning has been whittled away and I haven't really achieved anything at all. To make it all much worse, I am currently in the middle of a book that I am really enjoying, so much so that everything else feels like a rude interruption. You would think given that I work in a Bookshop that I would be given time out to read. After all it is good for business but technically it doesn't count as working.

I started reading Sarah Waters 'the paying guests' yesterday and I am already thoroughly engrossed. I have made it beyond the half way point and I am determined that I will finish it tonight. In fact I would finish it now if I could but silly things like work and life keep getting in my way.  I don't know why I waste my Friday mornings doing silly chores like preparing my lunch and food shopping when I have an enthralling story calling to me from the arm of my couch and here I am supposed to concentrate on other things when I've only just gotten to the good bit.

I will be starting work at one and by that stage I will already have done so much running around that it will feel quite like my day is half over but sadly it's one of those Fridays and my work day is just beginning. I have many things that will keep the hours ticking over nicely so I am not likely to fester away in boredom in the Children's corner but somewhere in mind I will be counting down to my coffee break so I can snatch a few pages, just enough to make my lunch hour feel like an eternity away. And I will be waiting until my lunch hour comes round where I will struggle to read my book and eat simultaneously because I don't want to waste a second of precious reading time. And I will be dreading the possibility that a colleague will endeavour to engage me in idle chit chat as minutes I could be reading drain away and I fight to not tap my fingers with impatience on the table top. Yes, my book is very interesting and No, I haven't read that thing in the paper, can't you see I am too busy losing myself entirely in another world to drag myself down with stories of this person killed and that person arrested. Yes the world can be a terribly dismal place which is why books are so important.

I should really be getting myself ready for a long night at work but all I want to do is read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..