The last non hurling fan in tipperary

So most people will be aware that yesterday was the all-Ireland hurling final with Kilkenny playing Tipperary and its kind of a big deal. Especially if you're from one of those counties. Funnily enough I am from Tipperary and I wont say that I didn't know about it but I can readily admit I didn't care regardless of the outcome. I only knew it was happening because of Facebook, It's hard to avoid the big stuff when you're frequently checking in on social media. It's just as well I am bombarded with those sort of updates because otherwise I would go on living my life blissfully unaware of the biggest sporting event of the year. Well in Ireland it was. In case you are wondering the match ended in a draw and this means they will have to replay in a week or so. All terribly exciting stuff. You will find me nowhere near a TV while all of this is going on.

Yesterday I actually forgot about it. I'm told that had I been home in Clonmel that would have been impossible as the whole town is decked out in the county colours of blue and yellow but here in Waterford it was just another Sunday. While most of my county were glued to their TVs I was having a lovely cliff walk in the sun. I haven't been cast out of Tipperary yet so it's all good.

It's funny but I was scrolling down through my facebook news feed at all the people I know from back home watching the match, mostly in bars and almost of all of them fully decked out in the Tipperary kit or at least a jersey and I realised that I have never once owned a hurling jersey or  any other sporting item that would indicate my support for any known team. It's okay though I have made my peace with that. I have also never watched even more than a snippet of hurling, I don't know the rules and I have no interest and quite frankly thats okay.

I summed up my attitude to an acquaintance recently by saying if they win that's nice but if they don't that's fine too. I know there are other hard core Tipp hurling fans who would be disgusted but I wont be the one with my weekend ruined if this replay doesn't go as hoped. Besides, there's a whole world outside and I'd rather be there 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..