Let's go do all the things

If I was to divide my social life of  recent times into two categories, before I met Stephen and the time since, you would notice a vast difference. The truth is I like all of the same things I've always liked so with the exception of the opera ( which I was pretty iffy about until I saw it and really enjoyed it ), all of the things we've been to are the kind of the things I'd be inclined to go to. That doesn't actually mean I'd have made it. 

I find that much as I have always enjoyed live music, comedy and theatre, it proves to difficult to arrange such outings. You have to persuade friends that its a better use for money than that night out or sometimes the friend who would like to go don't actually live down here and a lot of the times what appeals to me doesn't exactly excite others in my social circle so yes I was missing out. Then I went and got myself one of those boyfriends that everyone is always raving about and suddenly I have tickets for more things in the last 11 months than I have for the last three years. 

In the last 11 months I have been to three comedy gigs. David o doherty and Andrew Maxwell in the forum and then David O Doherty and Glenn Wool at Cat laughs festival in Kilkenny. 

I have been to movies at three different local film festivals. A an anime one in the japanese film festival in Garter Lane, a home invasion thriller at twisted celloid in Triskel arts centre in Cork and a comedy and thriller at the world cinema festival in Kilkenny plus several other world cinema films I would never have otherwise had the opportunity to see.

I have been to at least four plays in Garter lane mostly and several national theatre live performances in either the Odeon or Dungarvan cinema. The highlights being the skull of connemara and the national theatre performance of  a street car named desire. 

I have been to countless gigs at red kettle sessions and Garter lane and bars around the town as well as a few local festivals. My favourite so far has been the recent in the willows gig. An amazing Waterford band that I've only recently become aware of and now the more I listen to their album , the more I fall in love with them. 

We have become regulars at cult classics cinema held twice a month in the Theatre royal and there's nothing like watching older movies on a big screen to make you enjoy them all over again. We regrettably had to miss the last one as it clashed with a streetcar named desire but we'll be back for Braveheart in two weeks time. 

And there's more yet to come. Friday night we are planning to go to a gig once I get out of work, Saturday night we are taking part in the Comeraghs wild festival and going on a 40 minute hike up the comeraghs to see a play called Lackendara Jim. I'm a little dubious about the whole endeavour but Stephen is enthusiastic enough for both of us so I'm sure we'll be fine and it will be another experience to blog about. We are going to something called yacht rocks next weekend, some sort of musical event at central arts and I am not entirely sure what it involves but I'm sure it will an experience all the same and in a few weeks we are going to Dublin to see the Riptide movement play in Vicar street.

All good things on the horizon. I will continue to do as many things as my tiny budget will allow and try and embrace the fact that I'm dating someone who won't let my inner hermit win out. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..