Walking, like running only slower

The last few days I have gotten into the habit of going for longish walks, sometimes with my boyfriend, sometimes alone. I don't think I'm going to get any slimmer from doing this as my diet of late leaves a lot to be desired but it's sure doing wonders for my mental state. 
I've mostly been walking out the road near where I live or somewhere around town because its getting darker earlier and somehow a walk in the dark doesn't have quite the same appeal. I did decide that for the weekend I wanted to do something different and get out somewhere a bit more scenic. It's funny really because it's the sort of thing my parents have been urging me to do for years and bar the odd reluctant stroll, I have fought against it. 
Let's not tell them that long walks are my new thing and then they won't have the opportunity to gloat.

Anyway Saturday was one of those days where I left work exhausted and with a headache for a number of reasons. All of the bad food, not enough sleep and a busy day in work with insufficient staff meant I was mentally worn out come home time. Usually if we don't have plans I will throw on comfy clothes and collapse on the couch and I am almost falling asleep by the time Stephen calls over to watch something, I am already half falling asleep. 
This Saturday was going to be different, we didn't have plans and I think it's one of the only weekends of the coming weeks where I can say that, such is our packed social calendar. 
I had already decided based on the half decent weather and my new fondness for walking that we would head out to Tramore and walk a long the beach. This was definitely a great idea, one of my best yet. By the time we got out there around 7.30, it was shaping up to be a nice evening and there was a refreshing breeze so it felt good to be walking along the beach. Half an hour into it I felt I had left all the day's stress behind me  but by then my silly canvas shoes had started to chaff and I really needed to pee. Otherwise we were all good. We walked for a good bit more until the sky got worryingly dusky so I suggested turning back lest the tide come in completely and we get stranded. We walked back a long the sand dunes and it seemed we had picked a good point to turn back as by the time we were half way back it was a hell of a lot darker and getting difficult to see where we were going. We did eventually make it back to the car over an hour and half after we set off and with a quick pit stop at Tescos for snacks on the way home we were back at mine before 10pm. Had I not bought more chocolate, I probably would have had a lovely sleep from all my walking but instead like the silliest of geese, I managed to push myself from having a bad headache to having a full blown migraine which had me waking in the middle of the night in search of painkillers and a more soothing eye mask.

I woke like a rat this morning to a lovely sunny day. After grumbling my way through the morning we walked to Ardkeen stores for noms and I promised myself once more that come Monday I would be good and start eating only good food but luckily its not Monday yet so instead the focus was on what's delicious out there and I got to pat myself on the back for walking out to get my treats instead of driving. and it was all lovely and sunny so as walks to get bread go, it was pretty nice. After that we came home for a lie down and I got to read some my book on my bed while Stephen napped and I looked on resentfully because I really needed some sleep myself but was too wound up (from sugar, most likely ) to get some. 
After lunch we went to Dunmore to get our real walk on. I can't say I've ever done much Walking in Dunmore but I was guessing with it being seaside town there had to be at least one decent cliff walk there so we went off in search of it with Stephen playing the doubting Thomas because he didn't feel heading the general direction of cliffs and then looking for signposts was the best way to go about it. I sure showed him because we found a cliff walk right where I expected and had a lovely little walk for ourselves until Stephen got bored and then I could admit that actually I was pretty sleepy so we turned back. I will be able to sleep tonight after patting myself on the back and saying well done for getting all of the fresh air.

But maybe next time I go walking, I wont be all hopped up on sugar so I'll actually get more benefit from it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..