The dressing room fiasco

Mirrors are not my friend and I know I wont be the first person to admit this but It's true. They do me no favours most of the time. Except today when it would have benefited me to look in a mirror after my coffee break and I might have seen the bun I'd nommed left a chocolately smudge across my cheek and not walked around with it there for a full two hours. Aside from the mirrors in the gym that I steer well clear of ( only watching myself when I have the misfortune to be swinging from a bar like an ungraceful monkey) , my least favourite mirrors in the whole while world are changing rooms mirrors.

I should take a very quick moment to mention that calling it a fiasco suggests something quite dramatic so technically the title of this post is a bit of a lie. Have you ever gone to a changing room feeling fine but ready to try on a few items and left empty handed, feeling sad and like you are too fat for clothes. Well that pretty much sums up my Penneys experience today. I was feeling the need to add something to my wardrobe on a very low budget as I need to keep my money for the weekends festivities. I am planning on having two nights out and even with my few glasses of wine, it all still adds up so I didn't really have the money to buy anything. I have never been one to let something like that stop me and I made my way to the changing room armed only with a skirt (couldn't see anything else that took my fancy) and spent most of my time in the changing room looking at my flabby tummy and big bottom in terrible lighting and finding stray grey hairs in my hair line that had previously gone unnnoticed. So a fun experience all round.
I came out of the changing room feeling very sad in myself and craving chocolate which was ironic given the fact that I'd be looking a lot better if I hadn't indulged myself with quite so much chocolate in the first place.

I have never been a fan of changing room mirrors and sometimes I wonder how shops manage to sell any clothes when their changing areas seem to be manufactured to shatter your self esteem. I am known when actively clothes shopping ( when I am on an actual shopping spree as opposed to in town for a look) to make sure I have a vest on under my tshirt and then as a time saving measure I will try on lots of tops and occasionally the odd dress out on the shop floor. Yes, it's pain stripping off layers by the clothes rails but for some reason I don't feel that same awful feeling I get in a changing room and it can be nice sometimes to shop without crushing your spirit.

There's a clothes shop in town, and I'm sure anyone living in Waterford's fair city will know the one I'm talking about, where they don't have mirrors in the changing room and you have to step outside to see yourself, at which point several staff members will step forward and tell you how good you look in said dress or top even if you look like a woman in sausage casing. I have to say it puts me off shopping in there. I'm pretty sure If I want to be lied to about how I look I can just ask and if an outfit looks hilariously hideous on me then I'd prefer not to have an audience when I find this out but maybe that's just me.

So I'm slowly working on getting less wobbly and maybe taking the longest route possible to get there and in the meanwhile I think I might just avoid changing rooms as much as I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..