up before the birds and doing burpees

Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a crossfit class I feel as though I'm getting less fit as time goes on when in actuality its probably just a case that I'm not training enough. It is the down side to not living in the same town as the gym I train at. Some weeks I might only make it down for one class and I'd love to tell you that I make up for it by working out loads from the comfort of my apartment but up to about a week ago that would have been a big fat lie.
It's hard to get out of bed and motivate yourself to exercise and that's why I've given up writing out workouts for myself, it's like I'd ever actually do them although the intentions were there. I find intentions don't do much to get you into skinny jeans. I am currently off sugar about two weeks now so my tummy is already a little smaller but I am trying to wean myself gently off the things I eat to fill the hole that sugar has left and that's a little harder. Hopefully I'll get there eventually.

Anyway the last time I was home I mentioned to my sister (who's also my trainer) that I wanted to do a 10 day challenge soon. I knew I was coming up to my seven days in a row of working (I'm now on day 6 ) and being very smart I knew that I'd begrudge all the workouts I was missing out on but not actually do anything remotely active here. Up until recently I had never worked out in this apartment and considering I've been here since late October, that's kind of a big deal.
I was given a delighful 4 min tabata (20 secs on, 10 seconds rest) of hollow body (lying down with legs and shoulders slightly raised of the ground, it sounds easy but hurts like hell)  and hollow body rock ( same position but rocking back and forth gently) And that was manageable enough. My abs have been tight all week and I can kid myself that I'm getting skinnier. That was all well and good and while it didn't make for the most active of days, its helping strengthen my abs plus I'm feeling better about myself by just committing to it.

 I was thinking ahead to what the next challenge might be because as long as I'm not the one setting them I'll actually follow through. I'm not quite sure what that's all about. Then my sister popped in to the shop I work in over the weekend and suggested I add another challenge to the one I was already doing. Thinking I might have to do another 5 minutes or so of abs, I readily agreed and then she told me the challenge was 100 burpees ( if you don't know what a burpee is then lucky you. I would suggest you look it up on youtube. It's a body weight exercise that's been described as the sado masochistic cardio equalizer. If you tried one you'd understand)  a day. Yikes. But I have yet to refuse a 10 day challenge she's given me and from some workouts I did last year, I already knew I was capable ( if not so much willing) of doing 100 burpees so I embraced with my usual enthusiasm. By which I mean that I never had as much difficulty getting myself out of bed as on the Sunday morning that I knew I had to start my burpee challenge.

Anyway I am currently 5 days in, which means 500 hundred burpees are done and I have 500 left.
So far it hasn't killed me. While I do feel pleased about the fact that I'm getting up before 7am and doing burpees, I wouldn't go so far as to say I am actually enjoying the challenge. It's like any crossfit workout where I feel good about it once it's done but I might just be hating each of the 100 burpees except for perhaps the last one.

I'm going to see this one through and hopefully be fitter for it and then I'll be ready to train more and happy to face the next challenge. I'm almost certain there's nothing worse than 100 burpees a day but I'm afraid I might just end up being proved wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..