Here come the nights

I finished my last day shift for this year today. Now I am facing into the long weekend and a much needed break. I am also starting my month of nights on Monday and I am filled with trepidation at the thought. I work in care and nights are a part of the job but it doesn't leave me feeling any more enthusiastic about them. I have done night shifts before, not a full month of them but enough to know I do not fare well on them.

I am hoping this time around they go a little smoother. Especially as I will be in over Christmas, something which did have me feeling a little sad but I am sure I will get on with it and salvage what is left of the Christmas once I come round from my catch up sleep. 

I am trying my hardest not to eat too much crap in the run up to nights because I know the exhaustion will get the better of me and I will find it only too easy to be eating all around me and I'd prefer to not be a rounder version of myself when I  come out the other end. I am also brainstorming with myself for possible strategies to keep myself up and going so that I am not just crossing out the half hours as they pass. The house I work in is busier than other places I have done nights and that does come as some small consolation plus I have been offering my secretarial services to staff who are pushed for time and need things typed. I am hoping that the combination of the two should hopefully result in me not falling apart this time around. Going on previous experiences I am concerned about how effective a worker I will be given that my brain turns into mush without sufficient sleep especially as my new found plan to get through nights involves less coffee in the hopes of better sleep the next day. 

However it could be worse as previously I have done nights where I have had to sit in a living room alone with nothing to do but stay awake or by a hospital bed trying not to make any noise but also stay alert so at least this will be a more active experience. If anyone has some wonderful magic survive the night shift tips then I would more than welcome them because it is fair to say that I will need all the help I can get. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..