Here's to the New Year !

I sit here on the last day of 2016 feeling I need to write something to sum up the past year and yet I am finding there is not much to say. As years go it was not overly eventful. I got a newer car and changed jobs and joined and left the gym more times than I can count so I am no longer sure if I am ending the year fatter or slimmer than I started it. Nor am I certain that any of this actually matters. No great disasters befell me in the last year so I can be grateful for that and hope for more of the same in the year to come. 

This year I wont be setting resolutions and I can no longer remember if I said the same last year but I know if I set any that I definitely didn't keep them which can be true of those I have set most years. There's something about the high hopes you have for what lies ahead as you see the New Year in and they seem to dissipate early into January when you hope that no one remembers the promises you made.

Naturally I hope for a better year, to be healthier and happier and less stressed about my finances but there is no guarantee that any of this will come my way as the countdown begins and we cross from 2016 to 2017 and I wonder if its cool for me to go home to bed now that I have seen the New Year happen. 

Ultimately we are the architects of our own happiness and writing down these goals on a piece of paper doesn't make them any more likely to happen unless we put the work in ourselves and make it happen. Life is not some extended version of the secret where we can send our wishes out to the universe as though it were Amazon and patiently await the delivery. 

So while I do hope to be healthier and happier next year I know that only I can make this happen. I will need to put down the chocolate bar and stop using night shifts as an excuse for every unhealthy habit that I have acquired a long the way. 

So here's to the New Year and to a calmer, happier me and here's to me finding the willpower to make it all happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..