South East sourdough enthusiast

Sourdough bread is one of those things I discovered rather late in life. In time before I discovered my gluten intolerance I could eat any bread I chose and the name sourdough conjured up an unpleasant taste in my mouth so naturally I never bothered to taste it and see if my assumptions were correct. Fast forward to about three years ago when I occasionally dabbled in spelt bread but couldn't stomach regular bread and my sister told me I should be okay to eat sourdough pizza because the process involved in making sourdough kills a lot of the gluten. This was terribly exciting news plus it was delicious pizza and then for the first time ever I began to look out  for Sourdough breads. Luckily for me it was around this time the real bread movement began to gain popularity and said breads weren't actually too difficult to find.

Waterford is not a bad old spot for decent food and we are very lucky to have the likes of Ardkeen stores selling artisan foods you can't get elsewhere. They even sell three different types of sourdough bread for those who have developed a taste for it. It was just over two years ago when Seagull bakery entered my radar. Shortly after Momo restaurant opened it quickly became our favourite place to eat (myself and the other half that is) and they just so happen to make the most amazing sourdough toasties which I quickly became hooked on. 
At the time Seagull bakery, which is based in Tramore, was selling bread to a number of restaurants and a farmers market in Tramore which I could hardly ever get to as it required me to off on a Saturday and in Tramore quite early. It sold out very fast. It seems it doesn't take very long for the word to spread about the deliciousness of their bread.
In the last few months there has been an exciting development in real bread as Seagull Bakery opened a shop in Tramore. The bright white storefront can be seen as you drive up Main street and can easily be recognised by the queue snaking out the door so you would probably want to arrive early to get the good stuff.
In the few times I have made it out since they opened I have gotten there to discover they had already sold out of the bread I had come for and that was before midday. Since opening the shop they have also branched out and started baking sourdough pastries which are to die for and practically seem to sell as they take them out of the oven. Having tasted them, I am not at all surprised by their popularity. 

this morning I dragged myself out of bed with sleep in my eyes to go about my rather busy day and then somehow found myself taking a detour to Tramore for pastries, bread and the nicest cappuccino I have ever tasted. It certainly set my morning off to a better start. So if you want to know where to get great bread, now you'll know where to go. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..