Postponing Christmas

You don't need to do much digging to find out that I am big into Christmas. I love the lights and decorations and buying presents for other people. I love seeing family all together because its rare that all of us are in the one place these days. I have always been home for Christmas and most years I have been home at some point Christmas Eve. This is my second year working in a Social Care job so it should come as no surprise that this year I will be working over Christmas. 

That's not the worst part of this story. Not only am I working for Christmas but I am working nights over Christmas. For lots of people this would not be a huge issue because they could get by on a few hours sleep and salvage the rest of the day but I am not one of those people. Anyone who has read my blog posts from long ago (well over a year ago) will be well aware that I am afflicted with something I like to call marshmallow brain after waking nights. I need loads of sleep but I can never get enough and when I do wake I am fuzzy and incoherent. There are few intelligible sentences and possibly some crying. 
I got offered more regular hours in work with the caveat that I also have to my fair share of nights, that being a month every three to four months. I readily agreed as the uncertainty of relief hours was not something I was coping well with. I quickly determined I would be starting my nights on the 19th December (two weeks time, not that I am counting) and that meant I would be working the weekend 23/24/25 and I have been adjusting to this fact ever since.

Here lies my quandary, I am working Christmas Eve so I could go to my parents place on Christmas day but I will be like a zombie. Their house will be super noisy so there is not a hope in hell that I would get any sleep. Now I would suck it up and nap later in the day if it wasn't for the fact that I am also working Christmas night so I'd need to be in a fit state to drive to work and also survive my third night shift in a row. After much thought and general feeling sorry for myself I have made a decision to postpone Christmas. I will get some sleep and have a mini Christmas with the boyfriend. If I am up to sentences I might even ring the family. We'll have a sort of Christmas dinner, exchange gifts and maybe watch a Christmas movie. He'll head out to friends as I go to work and then on Stephens day Ill drive down when I finish my shift and soldier through as much of the day as I can. I don't know will it be postponing Christmas or extending it but I may as well get used to the idea. I plan on extending my career in social care and working the days no one else does comes as part of the package 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..