The most wonderful time of the year

If you ask people what Christmas is really about they might say family which is an essential element but for me it's also about giving to others rather than writing an alphabetical list of presents you wish to receive for yourself. 
I seem to get an almost pathological amount of pleasure buying gifts for other people. Now this either means I am a nice person or else I just really get into the retail aspect of retail therapy and the fact that I am not shopping for me means I don't even need to feel bad about how much money I am spending. I am generally conscientious when it comes to money so if I overspend I do tend to worry a little bit that I got carried away. 

So technically I shouldn't have many to buy for this Christmas. We got rid of buying for everyone in the family a few years back to cut costs so I have to buy for one of my sisters and my boyfriend and then I'm done. Naturally that's not a whole lot of fun just shopping for two people so I improvise a little. I got something for my other sister because we always get each other something small and then something for my nephew because it's his first Christmas. So that was plenty but then I decided to get a Christmas story for work, a small present for my nieces and a present for the young woman I used to support before starting my current job (she does love presents) and then I ran out of money and people to buy for. Which is probably for the best.

Admittedly this is not the first Christmas this has happened. My desire to buy presents is not always quelled by the time I have finished shopping for friends and family. And so long as I have cash and access to the shops I keep buying stuff and then try and decide who to give it to. Seeing as I am not actually putting myself in debt I reckon there are worse habits I could have. Perhaps its for the best that I will going on nights this time next week and my desire to shop will be replaced by exhaustion. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..