How the other half live

If you were hoping for a blog post on the upper echelons of society then you have come to the wrong place. Instead this is a shout out to any one who works nights on a permanent basis in whatever line of work they are in. To the doctors , nurses, care staff, cleaners, factory workers and all. As you may have gathered, given how much I have been banging on about it, I am in the middle of a night rotation. For a month (14 nights in total) I am on night shifts and then I will return to days until my turn rolls around again.

Admittedly I am coping a little better than expected in that I haven't totally fallen apart. I am however completely exhausted on a full time basis and generally unwilling to stray too far from my apartment even on my days off lest another opportunity to get a bit of sleep should arise. I would hate to miss it. 

The thing about nights is they kind of take over your life when you're on them or at least they do for me. I am more focused on sleeping than eating and my concentration is totally shot and weirdly I function better in work in the middle of the night than I do sitting at home waiting to go in to my next night shift. So it has me thinking that people who work nights week in, week out and still have some sort of semblance of a life and don't totally fall apart, well they must be superhuman. Its the only thing for it.

I write this as I lie on the couch in my pyjamas feeling fuzzy from sleep or lack thereof even though I have only been out of bed an hour. To be fair I did only get into bed at 9.30 am so it's not as bad as it sounds. 

I am now off for the weekend and I will try to get out and do things even if all my instincts are to sleep. I am only really managing with the nights because every one done brings me another step closer to finishing. I am finished on the morning of Friday the 13th (eeek) and I've booked some time off before I return to days so that I can remember how to human, catch up on sleep and just generally relax. Really I am half way there already so it wont be long before sleeping in my own bed in the night time stops feeling like a novelty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..