It's Like Riding A Bike

This weekend the Deise Greenway had its grand opening. For those of you not from Waterford (also known as the Deise), The Greenway is a walking/cycling path that stretches from Waterford city to Dungarvan town via the most scenic route you could imagine. With the miserable weather we have been having it was quite the stroke of luck that it should open the weekend gone as the sun was shining, everything looked its best and you could be forgiven for thinking it was almost summer.

On Saturday we soaked up some of the Sunshine and took a look at one of the entrances to the Greenway closest to where we now live (we in this case being the boyfriend and I) . We walked for a while and my boyfriend kept asking if we could rent bikes but I was incredibly unsuitably dressed for such an activity as I was wearing my new super tight (but pretty flattering jeans) and I probably wouldn't have been able to lift my legs enough to reach the pedals. So we just took it all in on foot and I promised we would explore more of the Greenway on bikes very soon.

I had not realised how very soon would be. I am not new to cycling. I learned to ride a bike like most people when I was a child and got my fair share of scrapes to show for it. I Cycled to school and then on and off  over the years but more as mode of transport than training for the next Tour De France. I have been driving the last 6 years now and before I got my car, my bike was my only way to get to work. I do remember this being a pain when I lived a 40 min cycle from work or when the weather was inclement as Irish weather often is. I am sure you get the picture. I cycled because my wages didn't allow for constant taxis and I wanted to be active but not so much so that you would have seen me cycling for pleasure in my free time.

Despite the long break since I last rode a bike, I found myself agreeing to drive to Kilmacthomas ( a village that is halfway between Dungarvan and Waterford) and rent bikes to cycle the Greenway. My boyfriend was very enthused and it was another lovely sunny day so I was easily swayed. I was hoping for a lovely idyllic cycle like something out of Corinne Bailey Rae's music video from a few years back. I think it was for the track 'put your records on'. At the same time I was remembering a time a good few years back when I took up cycling again to get to work and having to stop mid way because trying to  get up a hill made me feel like I might puke. Let's just say I was apprehensive about my ability to cycle a long distance.

Anyway apprehensive or not, I still found myself renting a bike in Kilmacthomas and agreeing to cycle to Dungarvan and get a shuttle bus back. Its a 24 k cycle but I was willing to give it a try. Then we discovered the guy we were renting from did not in fact have a shuttle bus so we said we would try to do a roundtrip which was probably massively ambitious by anyone's count. The bike I rented was a little too tall for my liking but he didn't appear to have any delicate lady bikes left so I took what was there and then refused to cycle it out of the rental place because I was nervous of the hill so we were off to a magnificent start. We found the Greenway entrance without much issue and slowly started our cycle. I quickly realised two things. One the saddle was obviously some sort of mediaval torture device and two the prospect was of cycling to Dungarvan and back again was probably a little beyond my scope at that point in time. My boyfriend was far more enthusiastic so I said nothing because I thought worst case scenario was that we had to live in Dungarvan for a few weeks until my legs recovered enough to return.

It really was a glorious day to attempt this though and I soon found myself shedding my jumper and cycling with just a vest on. As the path opened up we could see the mountains all around us and I was able to fully appreciate what a wonderful thing this Greenway was going to be for everyone living in Waterford and beyond. I was also quietly wondering how far we had gone and when would we stop because my legs felt like they might fall off. It is hard to admit this when your boyfriend is cycling like he hasn't a care in the world. We did stop for a bite to eat and I managed to stretch my legs which helped a lot and then on we went. I had heard there were tunnels on this path and I was keen to see the coast but by this stage I had convinced himself that the chances of me making it the whole way there and back again was unlikely so we agreed to get to the sea and then see if I was still standing/ cycling.

We travelled several more km over bridges, through hills, in tunnels. The last one being a particularly dark and drippy tunnel not at all like something from a Swedish crime drama ( definitely not) and we kept going even when I didn't want to. We did get as far as the sea and it looked even more breathtaking by bike but the time had come for me to admit defeat or at least for my legs to do so. I had to finally say it, we need to turn around. So we were 21km into our cycle when I asked to go back and then I had to face the fact that my car was now 21km away from where we now stood and also my legs really didn't want to cycle anymore. I actually still thought we were miles off or I'd had gone on or maybe not. There is a distinct possibility I would still be sitting somewhere on the trail willing myself home as though I was Dorothy from The wizard of Oz.
We had to stop frequently because my legs were sore or my bum felt like it was being attacked by the saddle and if it wasn't for the signs along the Greenway letting me know we were getting closer to our destination then I probably would have given up. We must have been half way back when my boyfriend decides to mention the fact that I was peddling way more than him which would explain the tiredness. I remarked that everytime I changed gear it got easier and so I peddled more and I could not understand why a bike needs 24 gears and why it only went one way. Except it didn't. There was another button to make the gears get harder but I think both my legs were barely moving by the time I actually worked this out.
We made it back to my car about three hours after we set out and both of us were totally worn out but glad we made a decent go at it for our first attempt anyway.

For everyone else heres's some advice.
Definitely check out the new Deise Greenway. There's two points to join it within the city here and many more between Kilmacthomas and Dungarvan. There are some stunning views and it's great to appreciate what Ireland actually has to offer on those rare sunny days.
There are definitely bike rental places in Waterford city, Kilmacthomas and Dungarvan and I think it's €20 for a bike for the day with most of them.
Do try and get a bike that suits you and wont break your bum, maybe work out the gear system before you set off ( if you don't have your own bike of course)
Be honest with yourself about how fit you are and if you're not going to make the return then make sure you've rented from someone who does offer the shuttle bus for the return journey.
I will definitely be venturing out again at some point so maybe I will see you on the Greenway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..