The right kind of Friday feeling

Today turned out to be a very good day but I didn't know that waking up. When I woke this morning I initially thought I had been in an accident because everything hurt so much. Then it filtered in to my poor sleep fogged brain that I had returned to the gym yesterday and my muscles were in shock. Getting out of bed and getting dressed was an ordeal. I got myself to work somehow and struggled through the morning. Anything I dropped stayed on the floor unless there was something to assist me to the floor and back up again. I walked like John Wayne and I wasn't as much help as I should have been thanks to my attempts to tackle my chronic lack of fitness.

In the middle of all this fun I answered a routine work call. Seeing the Kilkenny number I thought it was the house I worked in as I was out on a errand at the time. Instead it was the work HR department calling to see if I had received my letter. Not to paint myself as too much of a pessimist but in the years since I qualified I have attended a ridiculous amount of interviews. Some good, some truly awful and few inbetween. For every job I didn't get there was a letter, an email, a phone call or the dreaded radio silence. You could say I've gotten used to it but truth be told there's always a tinge of disappointment and then a tendency to dissect the interview while I attempt to work out what stopped me from getting the job this time. I mentioned in an earlier blog post that I interviewed for an in-house social care position. I over talked which can really swing an interview either way depending on how much sense I was making at the time. Naturally this is what I thought the phone call was about. They would gently let me down, warranting a phone call because the job was in a place I already worked and I in turn would take it on the chin and if I was feeling brave enough ask for some constructive feedback so I could do better next time.

It would seem however that I called this one wrong and it was in fact the other kind of phone call. A congratulations on being given the job I had applied for. Naturally I was delighted if a little stunned. I had applied for the same position almost a year ago and was offered the HCA role instead with the option of reapplying down the line and nine months later I finally got offered my very first social care job. Well I say nine months as though that's all the time I was waiting but I finished college seven years ago so really it's been a lot longer than that. Endless interviews and a feeling that perhaps I would never get my foot on the career ladder and I finally did. What it means from here I am not sure. I am just waiting to hear what the next step is. I am not sure yet when I start or even if I get to stay in the house I work in now but what I can say for sure is that the future is looking brighter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..