You say I'm a nerd like it's a bad thing

I know it's not cool to admit this but I have never really cared about being cool. I really like learning new things. There I said it. Really though I'm not 17 anymore so it should be perfectly acceptable to say this and yet I find adults my age still have a tendency to downplay their enthusiasm for anything like this. I have always enjoyed learning, even when you had to pretend you were suffering too just so your friends wouldn't look at you askew.

I liked filling my head with new things and then enthusiastically sharing what I've learned with others  ( even when they didn't always share my enthusiasm) I like reading a wide range of topics and storing this knowledge in my head should I ever need it, although I have never seemed to have had full control over which stuff stayed with me forever and what gets forgotten as soon as I have finished reading the sentence. I like buying new stationary and knowing that I'll need to buy new stationary.

If it was up to me id probably stick to learning the stuff that just naturally interests me because that's not really work at all but that's not really how life works so I guess I'll keep my popular psychology books to my leisure time like a regular nerd and maybe dampen down my enthusiasm a little so people don't know how interesting I find this stuff.

I'm just after starting a course for work.  You might have already guessed this is what prompted this particular blog post. I will admit this one has me feeling a little out of my depth because the course in question is in healthcare management and as anyone who knows me is well aware I am not a manager of anything at all. If it was a course about managing to put my foot in it, I'd have already aced it but that's not the kind of thing they seek to teach professionally. I've a few assignments to get going on over the next while and I'm panicked enough about the subject matter that I haven't sat down to read them properly. As in all things academic , I really want to do well in this because that's just who I am as a person. Once the panic subsides I should be fine. When I put my head down I can get these kind of things done and I've already bought a new notebook for the work which we all know is one of the most important parts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..