Ode to Dublin's fair city


The first thing I should tell you is it's not really an ode at all. Sorry I lured you here under false pretenses. I like a lot about Dublin city but I dislike just as many things and the first of which is that I am still too much of a scaredy cat to drive there (not just because it's illegal for a little ol learner driver like me) but the thoughts of trying to navigate my way around the big unfamiliar city has me breaking out in a cold sweat. This means I am forced to navigate public transport which always gets a bit more annoying when you have become accustomed to driving everywhere. With everything I need on my passenger seat and being able to sing completely out of tune to the music of my choice ( this is frowned upon on busses). Also you need to take into account that these days with my dietary restrictions I am an actual pain in the ass which means when I take a bus somewhere I am usually forced to lug around a bag of snacks I can actually eat. It does have advantages though like the fact that I managed to finish a book on the way up ( that's frowned upon when driving) and I had a pretty long nap on the way home. So it wasn't a complete loss.

I think the thing that frustrates me most about Dublin apart from all the people everywhere is the fact that I haven't spent enough time up there to know where stuff is. I can navigate the main shopping streets pretty well at this stage and that's hardly surprising seeing as I have been shopping up there for 16 years now but I know there's loads of cool places I am missing out on and that kind of kills me as I run from one part of the city to the next. It also never fails to batter my feet because it takes me a while to get my bearings and everything is just so damn far apart. Doubtless if I spent more time up there I would learn where everything is and save myself much running but because my experience there is generally exhausting I find myself reluctant to visit more often.
It's a pretty unsophisticated catch 22 but there you go.


it does have shops that aren't in any other part of the country and that's usually what lures me up there in the first place and then I kick myself for coming financially ill equipped for all my shopping needs especially when I stop to browse in urban outfitters which is a whole shop of want outside my price range. I kid myself saying that if I lived in a city like this I'd be content with buying the occasional thing and I'd have a wardrobe to die for plus imagine all the cool things I could be doing every night. The reality is a lot less exciting and my few months in
Edinburgh showed me that everytime I walked down Princes street want leaked from every pore but I only bought from h&m because it was all I could afford. and I did nothing because the effort of commuting to work exhausted me so the very concept of doing something after work was virtually unthinkable unless that something was sleep.
So instead I content myself with the occasional visit and promise family I'll visit them more often all while bemoaning the hassle of getting there. If you were looking for an ode to Dublin city. This isn't it 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..