Bake me all the Noms

Okay so I know it was only the other night I started to collect recipes so that I can start baking again but I'm already feeling a little bit excited. I've ordered some rice syrup in the health food store and I can't wait to get my bake on this weekend. 

I've already committed myself to making four different things but it's opening up a world of possibilities. When I stopped eating sugar (including maple syrup, honey and coconut sugar) I just stopped baking. It was a sad time, well actually it still is a sad time. I said to myself, Laura, you cannot have nice things and made some sort of embittered peace with that. But this cookbook I am planning on dabbling with has suggested suitable alternatives for the flours and sweeteners I had been using so there's a possibility that I might be able to go back to making buns and pancakes and all sorts of yummy things. On the other hand there is the possibility that my swapping coconut sugar for powered stevia and barley flour for buckwheat, chocolate and cocoa for raw cacao nibs and cocoa, and rice syrup instead of maple might not be the success I'm hoping for. It might in fact be an unmitigated disaster.

The thing is after a drought on the yummy things, and bar my brief sugar binge there really has been a drought, just the possibility that I might be able to make something nice and not feel awful after is making me feel excited about food again. Of course if it all just makes inedible gloop then I'm sure I can probably make a blog post out of that too coupled with hilarious photos. Naturally that's not the outcome I'm hoping for. 

Today I spent a big chunk of money in the health food shop on ingredients I hope I can use to make many nice things. I got cacao nibs, shredded coconut, almond butter, spelt flour and rice syrup. They had better last because I'll be a very broke lady if they are to be regular purchases. These basics should get me started and a long with a few things I have at home plus some I'll be throwing into my weekly shop, here's what I'll be making. 
Cheese scones, okay so this recipe isn't in the book but I'm modifying one I used back in my wheat eating days because I recently discovered that my boyfriend had never tried them or heard of them for that matter and oh boy is he missing out. I used to be rather partial to them and I'll be making miniature ones because when they are bite-size they are more delicious. I happen to be off the opinion that everything is more delicious in minature. Perhaps that's just me. I'm making them with spelt flour so I can eat one or two as it would be too cruel to watch everyone else eat them while I sit there full of want.

I'll also be making bacon and egg cupcakes because they look intriguing although naturally I won't be the one eating them. Before you start making vomiting sounds I must tell you that are not buns. You cook an egg inside a bun case made of bacon and sprinkle cheese and chives on top. every man I have mentioned this too has gotten very excited At the idea that such a thing exists. Perhaps it's because I am
A full time vegetarian but I don't really get the bond most men seem to have with bacon. Okay so it's definitely because I'm vegetarian but I still don't get it. 

I'm also making this almond butter brittle that might be dangerous if it tastes as good as it
looks and these sort of almond butter and chocolate cups (using cacao nibs) that look 
pretty damn good. It's just as well that I already have some willing volunteers including the
boyfriend and flat mate who have made it clear that they will be only too happy to sample
anything I plan on making. For once I won't have to rely on my own feeble will power to keep me 
in check. If that works I'll be breaking out the big guns and modifying some of my old favourites.
It's mostly not having all the money that's stopping me from trying to make them all now.

If January was my month of culture, with a gig and two plays then February is going to 
be my month of baking and if I'm not careful then March will be my month of dieting. 
All the same I can't wait to get my bake on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..