End of an era

Nothing like a dramatic change to keep me blogging repeatedly on the same topic but you'll have to bear with me as its been an emotional day. Today was my very last day ever working the bookshop. So from now on while my blog name will stay the same and my book reviews will continue I wont really be bookshoplaura anymore and it feels pretty strange.
There is something strangely comforting about a job where you know exactly what you are doing because it feels good to be an authority on something and now my head is filled with a lot of useless knowledge about children's books and I don't really know what to do with it.

I can tell you the plot of almost every picture book we stock because I have read them all. I can tell you off the top of my head if we have a book if given the name or the cover image. I know precisely where everything is because I put it there and while I am voluntarily giving the children's section away (because it was my choice to move my career on) I am still feeling weirdly territorial about the whole thing. I know that in a few days it wont matter if things are not arranged just so or ordered immediately but I think I best stay out of the shop until the feeling passes so I can absorb the fact that I no longer work there so it doesn't matter. 

So tomorrow is my first day off where I wont have return to the shop looming over me and to stop me getting too nostalgic I shall remind myself I wasn't happy in the job and oh my God the boredom of January. So things like stock take and a possible wedding fair loom ahead but they won't be my concerns. I managed to accrue some holiday pay so I no longer need to stress about getting by between now and my first pay check in the new job. I have put away my name badge and filled a black bag with old work clothes, I have returned all the books I have borrowed and last night I even binge read one just so I wouldn't be giving it back half completed. 

So you could say I am prepared for my new job and everything it might bring. I have a bag of stationary. I get to wear my own clothes every day which is tremendously exciting although I might need some new clothes. Tomorrow I need to call the tax office, talk to social welfare, visit the library for the first time and a million other things and maybe then the reality will hit. I am feeling excited for what the future might bring, sad at what I am leaving behind and maybe a little scared about being the new girl in a unfamiliar things but it's all good really. As The Riptide Movement song goes 'It all works out'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..