My life as a bookworm

I have loved books for as long as I can remember. I actually can't get enough of them. I find even acquaintances seem well aware of this fact and share bookish things with me online. I was the child who always had a book in hand and read at a ferocious rate, the one scoping out other peoples bookshelves. I remember years ago we used to have a family gathering for cousins, aunts and uncles at Christmas and I would look forward to this because I could sneak to my cousins room and read my way through back issues of magazines I wasn't allowed have. In a way this has probably led to me being a stickler for grammar but I am also fairly articulate and meticulous in my writing. The biggest thing it has brought to me however is a passion as an adult for books.

The only thing was I have trouble affording my book habit and while I would occasionally splurge on a new book because I got so excited upon seeing it in a shop, I would mostly scour second hand bookshops, charity shops and anything the library had to offer me, It did lead to reading quite a lot of not so great books, popular fiction and crime and rife in both libraries and charity shops and sometimes it feels like pickings were slim. I would of course be gifted books my mum or sister had read and this would make me very happy indeed.

For the last two and a bit years I have been working in a bookstore which is bookworm heaven even if the job isn't everything I imagined it would be. I won't bog you down with the mundantity of  retail work and instead say there are one or two benefits. One I get to see in advance what's coming out, I can browse while at work, I see the books before they even get to the shelves and they do allow us to sign books out and return them ( in good condition). As you can imagine I am swiftly working through the shops stock which makes me a great person to ask what's good and new because I have probably read it.

So here it is, my life as a book worm. I will always have a book on me, in my bag or clutched under my arm because I never know when I will get the opportunity to read, other people see the queue in the credit union as an annoyance but for me ( provided I am not on lunch from work) see it as an opportunity to read and shuffle. I will often wish I was reading, often even while walking or driving.
I love to lose myself in a book, I can't count the number of times I have promised myself I will read for just five minutes and then half an hour later peel myself off the couch guiltily and hurry to whatever I should have been doing instead. I am always thinking about what I will read next because having nothing lined up panics me somewhat. I signed out five books the other day and someone asked me today did I mean to hold another six aside on the staff shelf ( I did and it comforts me greatly to know that they are waiting for me when this pile is finished)

If you are not a reader then let me tell you I feel bad for you because you are missing out, There are whole worlds out there waiting to be explored and they are hiding within the pages of a book. I know there's some quote about living a thousand lives through reading and it's through although I apologize for my messy paraphrasing when I am just too lazy to google it. This is my life as a bookworm and I wouldn't change it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..