Blogging with integrity

It's coming up to two years since I started this blog as a creativity exercise and I don't know if I ever expected people to read it. One the hardest things about writing a blog is deciding what to actually write and I don't mean subject matter because I am sure you have worked out by now that my head is only full of words that are begging to come out. What I mean by this is sometimes I am not sure how much information I can actually give. On one level I want to be honest in my writing and not presenting myself as someone other than me but at the same time I need to keep in mind that actual people that know might read what I post and this is not a diary. 

It really is a learning curve. I find it completely cathartic to just blog out my day even if it's been a truly awful one. Sometimes its good to catalogue all your disasters so you can share it like a funny anecdote and I even find myself thinking while something is going disastrously wrong that at least I can get a blog post out of it. I don't want to offend or upset people with what I write which is why I leave the controversial views on current affairs to the more qualified or interested people. Let's face it, the amount of information I will have garnered from my news feed or twitter would hardly be sufficient for me to form a fully rounded opinion on any matter and to my eternal shame those are my only news sources. I just can't bring myself to read the papers when there are so many lovely books around and if I watch the news its surely by accident. So I keep my blog posts restricted to my own life, my own experiences because those are the only things I can truly claim to be an expert on and I try and keep others out of my blog as much as possible with the exception of my boyfriend because if I blogged about all the things I have been doing and didn't mention he was there ( and he usually is with me) then people would start to think I am some kind of loner.

The thing about writing a blog is you write a post and then share it online with friends and with strangers and then you sort of forget about it. I for one forget how many people could see it and because people read my posts and for the most part don't comment on them, all I am left with is the number of people who read my blog by post or by day. This makes it easier to forget that these numbers relate to actual people and that some of those people are ones I know in real life. Well I forget until someone jokingly mentions something I wrote or when I arrive into work for people to ask me how it's going with the new house-mate  and someone else shouts did you not read her blog. It reminds me to reel myself in and check what I write because I am not just casting words into an empty universe so I must blog with some level of integrity or at very least I must really try to do so. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..