new year, new me (sort of)

As you might have noticed, it is indeed the New Year and I made a lot of promises that I fully expected January Laura to take care of but now it feels like my uppance has come. The plan was that I do it gradually, a few crossfit classes while slowly edging the junk out of my diet and then boom I'd be back to my slimmer healthier self. The only thing I have over most January promisers is the fact that I was actually relatively healthy and fit going into in December and then it all sort of landslided. The process of putting myself together post Christmas is turning out to be a lot more work than I had imagined and given that I am known to be really bad about my diet and fitness for weeks at a time and then get my ass in gear, you would think I would be better prepared emotionally if nothing else. Now I am not going to say I have failed or thrown in the towel but let's just say its a very long and slow process.

The plan was that I give up sugar from New Years day which was an idiotic idea given that I was woefully hungover but I went ahead and did it anyway. I survived it by being a complete savage in sugar free ways but the most important thing is I kept my half of the bargain with myself. The thing is because I was an absolute loon on chocolate buttons, the withdrawal is particularly tough. Think about your hangover after two glasses of wine versus your hangover after two bottles and then multiply that by three weeks. So for the last 8 days I have been hungry, woozy, cranky and angry but I have not being eating any sugar and if I remember correctly it gets better from here. I would really like it to get better now because the hunger (which is really sugar cravings but try telling my stomach that) is never ending and I have a feeling if this continues I will be one of those miraculous women who gets fatter while on a diet.

Another thing about no sugar Laura is that she is really damn tired all the time but especially in the morning when the alarm is insisting I get up but my body is insisting I stay in my snuggly bed. I was off all Weekend and I was actually supposed to be getting my first Crossfit class since mid December out of the way on Monday but I made an executive decision to stay in bed another two hours. In retrospect I don't regret my decision even if my wobbly belly suggests otherwise. I did discover that you don't get any fitter just by putting workout clothes in your car and you don't get any trimmer putting on ultra tight running leggings ( although they can have a mild spanx effect), you actually have to workout before getting any noticeable benefit, apparently. The good news is I did finally make it to a Crossfit class (this evening) although I was decidely unenthused about the prospect and was there more like a sulky child who was forced to go by her parents than an adult gym member there on her own free will. The main point should be I turned up and worked out and I didn't die. I almost died when I saw the white board though because I saw a workout up there I thought we were going to be doing that involved 100 burpees and I have never been so relieved to be assigned something else.

I am hoping by next month I wont be such a hungry hippo and I will be off most if not all junk and then maybe I wont feel the need to wear baggy tshirts to the gym or do wobbly belly dances with my midsection. I do have three weeks of misbehaving to make up for but I am getting back on track. So it's not so much New Year, New me but New Year, let's dig out the old me ( I think Last Year Laura ate her) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..