Ringing in the New Year

I don't really like to celebrate New Years eve but my boyfriend does so as a compromise we decided to go to Momo, a new restaurant in town, that was doing an eats and beats night for New Years, with friends of Stephens.  I spent the week telling people I going to a bites and bubbles event in Momo because I had convinced myself that's what it was called so it might be worth noting as a possible name for next years one. After working a full day New Years Eve, I wasn't really in the form for a night on the town and I might have come close to having a little nap in my supersoft dressing gown. Instead I motivated myself with the thought of food and got myself out the door looking reasonably presentable.

I have never actually been out in Waterford city for New Years because in my years living here I have mostly been pretending that it's just another night and not waking up in a heap on New Years day so I really didn't know how bad town would be and I was a little worried about the prospect. We got to the restaurant at 8 and I got a glass of something sparkly while we waited for Stephen's friends to arrive. I had been reading a lot of good stuff about Momo and I was pretty excited to try it out. From what I had seen of their menus online they seemed to have a lot of vegetarian and gluten free friendly options and I was looking forward to actually having a choice of things as I find often when going to a restaurant that there is usually one thing I can eat and I'd want to be sure I like it. 
They did not disappoint and the menu had options for everyone. I was undecided as to what to get, I liked the sound of the risotto but I had one risotto in the last year and it was beyond disgusting. It had so much cream in it that it was all I could taste and the problem was that I had no basis for comparison so I didn't know if it had been a terrible risotto or if that was just what risotto was meant to taste like. After speaking to the waiter I decided I would take a chance on it and got a side of fries as well. I had my fries brought out with the starters because the little bit of bubbly wine was already going to my head and I thought it would beat salivating at the smell of food while I waited for everyone to finish their starters.

The fries were light and delicious. I spent many years, as a much fussier eater , getting just fries when nothing on the menu appealed to me so I would consider myself a bit of an expert and I think if the fries are nice then it bodes well for the other food. We got a bottle of wine to share at the table, a nice light sauvignon blanc, not that I could claim to know much about wine but I didn't have to hold it in my mouth for a second or two before swallowing so it was a winner as far as I am concerned. Soon after our main courses arrived and my risotto (pictured above ) came served with a salad and vegetable crisps. Stephen got what looked like half a cow on a plate (it was actually a rather nice serving of ribs that he did a good job of demolishing) while the others had a chicken and a fish dish. I am pleased to report that my risotto was delicious. It had parmesan and hazelnut and veg and a very reasonable amount of cream (in that it wasn't drowned in it). We all cleared our plates and rubbed our bellies while looking forward to the desert menu. I had fully pledged myself to a dry January and giving up sugar so I was going to make sure I enjoyed my last supper as it were. 
Stephen had cake and the rest of us had icecream. I prefer a chocolate icecream myself but I did enjoy the trio of fruity ones. Except for the really red one which I think might have been beetroot and I was a bit unsure about that.

Meal finished and paid for, we left happy but nervous about what we would be facing in town. I remember in Clonmel a few years back ( where I had previously celebrated my New Years ) there would be queues out the door of several of the more popular bars and that was what put me off going out on the night. The first bar we walked into was packed to the rafters with some of the dodgiest heads I have seen in a while so we walked right out again and headed to Geoffs where there was a nice crowd and after about 5 minutes we managed to get ourselves seats which would be unheard of on your average Saturday night in there so it seems that worry that town will be insane on New Years has a knock on effect. We got ourselves a corner and we stayed there even as everyone else seemed to be running off to busier bars, eager to not ring in the new year in a relaxed atmosphere.There was no countdown in Geoffs so we just wished each other a happy new year when the time came. A little while after we headed down to Sinnotts for the rest of the night. There was a good crowd in there but it wasn't scary busy. We headed home in good spirits before the bar ended because Stephen really wanted a burrito. 

As New Years go, It was pretty good. I had a lovely evening and no major disasters occurred. So I might have broken the New Years curse. I am however in a woeful state today and just about mentally prepared for dry January and a new sugar free Laura. I have gotten some nice food to tide me over and I will hibernate until I can be a functioning human again. That would really want to happen by tomorrow as I am back in work then. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..