What happens at the weekend ?


This is my first weekend not being a bookshop employee which means this is my first weekend (bar holidays or the one in 5 I would usually get off) where I am not listening to a cacophony of squeaky puppets and squealing children. The thing is that when you work in retail (as I have done for many years) weekends just become that busy shopping time and for the most part you don't spend your week counting down to them unless you have something special planned in the evenings.

Weekends off for me were such a novel treat that I would insist we do something for them as you can see from my little collage above. There was great excitement when a Saturday loomed and I wasn't working. I would spend much time thinking what we could do to ensure that the weekend off was not wasted.

Well now it's changed. I finished in my old job Tuesday and started my new one Thursday and then suddenly It was 4pm and I was free until Monday. Obviously I am not complaining and perhaps in time the sheer novelty will wear off and I will be completely nonplussed about my three days of freedom. I am sure there are plenty of people who are off every weekend and endlessly fill my Facebook newsfeed with that Friday feeling who have absolutely no idea what I am on about. Trust me though when the closest you get to a Friday feeling is Oh God I'm working Saturday then this is a very novel sensation indeed.

I already had all day yesterday off and I used it wisely. I went food shopping, met a friend for lunch , called into the bookshop, bought myself a new hoodie and then I met my sister for tea in the bookshop again. I will have to cut that out or they will think I want to come back to work there. Really though I got loads done and I still have the weekend.

I don't know what happens on Saturdays, I've had breakfast and a shower and I am not sure what happens next. Today we are going to see some castle in Carlow ( you can guess who's idea that is ) and then tonight we'll be going to the the 30 hours for Waterford youth arts in Garter lane. As for tomorrow I am not really sure. Next weekend we're in Dublin so that's sorted but for the moment I have many weekends stretching ahead of me and obviously I wont be able to afford an epic day trip every time so I'll have to work out what happens at the weekends and when I find out, I'll be sure to let you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..