January Blues

It is a well documented fact that January is a very depressing time of the year. Everyone is broker and fatter post Christmas and generally not feeling all that good so its hardly surprising to find myself hit with a rather strong dose of the January blues. Now I am feeling pretty glum two days into the new year but it is not just because it's January, there is more to it than that.

I had been mainlining sugar in the run up to Christmas as though it was fuel essential to keep me going and then eating lots and lots of spelt bread to make the situation worse. I knew I was getting out of hand but I kept myself calm with the simple message of procrastination that New Year Laura would deal with it. Then on top of that I was out for New Years Eve and I had a few glasses of wine plus a lovely dinner out so I am currently on what I call day 2 of my hangover.There's definitely less nausea than day 1 but I still feel really blue,dehydrated, tired,  crave bad food and am like a much dimmer version of myself ( I had an incident today where I spent 5 minutes trying and failing to change the paper in a credit card machine and eventually had to call for help only to realise the reason it wouldn't close was because the plastic tube from the last roll of paper was still in it). On top of that I am now off sugar which is never pretty but particularly bad given my sugar binge post Christmas. Also because I was severely hungover yesterday ( you'll have to take my word for it but I was pretty woeful) and fully committed to having no sugar, I was pretty lenient with myself in other ways which is how I ended up eating a lot of spelt bread, popcorn and a lot of nobo ( it's like icecream only healthier and it uses honey as a sweetener). 

So here I was waking this morning; so very tired and reluctant to get out of bed, my hair like a Christmas tree from some creative turning in my sleep, my belly very sore from all the bad food and in possession of a food baby so impressive that I am considering naming it. plus all the sugar is leaving my body so I was also very angry and later very woozy and shaky. Sure who wouldn't be feeling blue in my shoes. I survived the day and I am having a pity party at home for the night safe in the knowledge that tomorrow I will be a human being again so that in itself should be enough to perk me up a tiny bit. As for the rest of my January blues I have a plan.

On Monday I return to the gym after two and half weeks away although it certainly feels like more. Initially it will make me feel a lot worse as the first few workouts will leave me convinced I am going to die as they force my liver to process all the crap I have been happily eating. As well as that I will feel very unfit for the first while and I will feel hideously fat especially with the way my bum and tummy jiggle as I run. I will be buying a few looser tshirts to hide my Christmas efforts until I have undone some of the damage. By the following week though I am hoping it wont be as bad as I'll have detoxed most of the sugar and all the endorphins will have me feeling miles better.

As well as that without the sugar I wont be all over the place. Well at least once I get most of it out of my system I won't be. Sometimes its hard to remember how much better I feel without it. Perhaps I should get something that reminds me sugar makes me sad, fat and lazy in case I start to forget again.

Today I found four new books to read which always makes me happy. I am feeling a bit too brain dead tonight to make a start but I have a full weekend off ahead of me so I'll have plenty of time to make lovely tea and read to my hearts content. 

I have my colouring book. Its hard to say a sentence like that and still sound like an adult. For Christmas my boyfriend got me a book called Art Therapy-anti stress-colouring book and it is so very relaxing. Everyone should have one. So after a tough day at work I get to take out my markers and just switch off like every grown up does, right?

And as well as all of that I know Stephen has already started compiling a list of things that we can do in January so I am unlikely to be bored or sad for too long. With that in mind I will accept today I have the January blues but I wont have them for too long. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..