Everyday sexism

I've been following everyday sexism on twitter I feel like I've learned a few things mostly that there are worse things in life than being whistled at (however demeaning that may be) and also that I am immensely glad I don't have to travel on public transport in London (mostly because I don't live in London but it's still a win) given the amount of incidents of public masturbation, If my twitter feed is to be believed. who actually does that on public transport !! lots of random men on the tube apparently and people wonder why Londoners are so hesitant to make eye contact on public transport. I would be too if that was a possibility. 

As a woman living in a much smaller city I too have been subjected to many incidents of sexism, everyday in fact. Sure it's good to exchange these stories with other women and we can sit there and fume in our collective fury but is it really changing anything. Probably not, I have been complaining for years now and nothing has changed, funny that.
I am actually not all that bothered by whistled at but I don't enjoy being heckled as I walk down the street. I am not quite sure where men got the idea that this is socially acceptable or welcomed. Something tells me not many women get picked up like that.

It's becoming more of an irritation at this point in my life, like that label on the back of your jumper that is driving you batty but you can't reach it so you gradually adjust to the itch at the back of your neck. You can't go out without being harassed or groped and now people will ask if you were dressed provocatively when you complain as though that makes it okay. So it's your fault now and not society. Surely a woman is entitled to dress however she wants without being mauled in public. So long as you are not doing a Jodie Marsh on it and wearing a belt on your boobs. In this case you might actually be inviting that sort of attention.


Or how every time a woman gets annoyed or upset there's a man somewhere muttering something about the time of the month. So yes, in a teeny tiny proportion of cases the man might be correct about the reason for the emotional outburst (But you'll be damned if you'll let him know he was right this time), the rest of the time there's a damn good reason. It really winds me up that we are presumed to be some sort of slaves to our hormones. It helps matters if you resist the urge to shout that you are angry because the man in question did something really fucking stupid ( maybe just mutter it quietly under your breath). Just take a deep breath here because there's a lifetime of this coming.

I don't know how to change the attitudes that seem to be ingrained in our society but I still feel inclined to not sit back and take it as my due. I'll be the one in the corner being snarky if you're looking for me. In the battle against every day sexism it seems a sharp tongue is the only weapon I have 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..