The apartment complex*

Let the countdown begin to the big move because after a lot of needless stress I have somewhere new to live, yay. After much soul searching ( humming and hawing plus checking property websites) I came to the conclusion that the kind of apartment I really want is actually out of my budget so I can either be broke and live in a dingy little apartment by myself or share and I guess I must be in gambling humor because I've agreed to share. This makes me more than a little nervous truth be told. Even though I've met my future room mate and he seems like a nice guy, you never really know someone until you live with them and by then it will be a little late.

Not wanting to pick the first apartment I saw because of apartment lust ( if there was such a thing I certainly had it) so I decided to view some other places. There's not a lot of shares out there right now especially if you're not willing to share with a load of students ( and I'm not) so I had two places lined up to view, 1 bed apartments within my budget and my heart sunk upon viewing them. To be honest I only viewed one. The estate agent wasn't able to get the door open on the other one but they were in the same building and the one I viewed was the more expensive of the two. It wasn't very bright, there were no food cupboards in the kitchen which was just strange and the kitchen/living area was so small I could probably cook my dinner while sitting on the couch. There was no dining table or even a coffee table and it had storage heating which I swore I'd never go back to. In fact the only thing I liked about the place was the bookshelves in the bedroom but that hardly warranted paying the same as I pay now for half the space. 

From what I saw online this is typical of the apartments I can afford by myself. There's a reason they are affordable and then I knew the apartment share was my best shot. Now having met the landlord who was categorically not an extremely aggressive member of the travelling community ( see it's already a major step up from my last house share) I decided to go for it and now I am just looking forward to getting out of my current apartment. Only two more weeks and I'm out.

Let's just hope it doesn't collapse on me before then. In the spirit of the apartment that keeps on giving, my ceiling has started leaking. I think part of my apartment is an extension so there's nothing above it and I guess all that lovely rain we've been getting has started taking it's tole on the worst building ever so now I have a small puddle accumulating on my living room floor which is fortunately not carpeted.  The good news however ( guess I'm a bright side sort of girl) is that because I had to go complain about my leaky ceiling I had the full opportunity to paint a picture of my living experience and I've been told I'll get my full deposit back which would be awesome. 

Now all I've left to worry about is how I'm going to get on sharing with a guy. Fingers crossed it wont be a disaster and until then I guess I'll be doing lunges to prepare me for moving all my stuff up three flights of stairs 


*to avoid copyright infringement I am legally (sort of ) obliged to credit Peter O'Reilly for the title of this blog post 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..