Try Harder next time

Tonight, in an unprecedented display of proactiveness I stopped talking about the fact that I was thinking of applying to write for the Hello giggles blog and actually sent them a pitch. Now before you get all excited and decide to cosy up with me so you can help me spend all my money (assuming I get it) , Let me just burst your bubble because I'd be an unpaid contributor. I'm sure for many people the thought of vying for a job you wont get paid for seems borderline insane but it's not like I was planning on quitting my day job and moving to the states to sit in some fancy schmancy office. Actually it's a shame that's not an option because that sounds quite nice. The beauty of blogging is that it can be done from anywhere with a half decent internet connection.

So while you scratch your head and wonder what's in it for me, I'll explain. I am one girl with a tiny blog that in reality is probably only read by a handful of people. My app on the blog that tells me how many people are reading it suggests higher numbers but I suspected some of that is automated spam or bots or something that isn't actually real people. So the vast majority of people who read what I write already know me, at least a little bit. Actually it could be argued that they know me a lot seeing it's clear I have trouble knowing what to leave out of my blog. But anyway it's not a lot of people and what Hello Giggles would give me is a much wider audience. They send out regular emails to anyone who signs up on their site with all the new posts and they share them on their facebook page and I think that would be really cool. Plus it's a good blog they run, I enjoy reading a lot of the stuff posted there so it would be deadly to be associated with that.

The problem is that when I was feeling all brave I wrote a lengthy email telling them about me and my blog and my life and essentially what I could bring to hello giggles and then I sent it before I lost my nerve. I have been picking it apart in my head, as I wont to do and I'm not sure I gave them my best possible pitch. Not that I can go in an unsend my email so it's all much of a muchness. You know when you have an argument with someone and you get flustered and you can't think of good responses or clever retorts but two hours later you're home alone in front of the T.V. and suddenly you think of really smart, cutting retorts and you smile at your own brilliance but also feel annoyed that it's not appropriate to call the person and tell you have a much better response to their argument. Well that was the sensation I had upon sending the email. Perhaps that wasn't the best representation of me and maybe they won't get it and possibly saying they could benefit from an Irish columnist because there's more to the Irish than sheep and potatoes wasn't the smartest joke to make, even if I did chuckle a bit to myself while writing it. Because I don't know will my sense of humor be lost on an American audience.

At this stage all I can do is wait and see and refresh my emails four times a day just in case they get back to me and I'll know that should the opportunity arise again that I will try harder 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The darker side of romance

Help, I think I'm autistic

Sometimes I open my mouth and my mother comes out ..